GO!

Doggy comfort foods?

This is the place to share your best homemade dog food and treat recipes with each other! Remember to use caution if your pet has allergies and to make any diet changes gradually so that your dog's stomach can adjust to the new foods you are introducing.

Rosie

Barked: Fri Aug 16, '13 11:03am PST 
My boyfriend's aunt treats her dogs better than most parents treat their kids; it's truly amazing. She has her own recipe for all their foods, including sick puppy foods.
Kristy will make homemade chicken noodle soup using rice for noodles when either of her dogs get sick (after she's spoken to the vet, of course). Do you have special recipes you make for when your dog isn't feeling well?
[notify]
Maxwell

I'm triple- superior MAD- now!

Barked: Sun Aug 18, '13 2:14pm PST 
That is so nice!

I guess the bland diet is comfort food. A pound of chicken breast and 1/2 cup of raw white rice simmered in a couple cups of water until chicken is done, remove and bone if needed and chop as small as possible. Be very sure the rice is cooked until really mushy and mix the two together.

My dogs really think comfort is in a good chew on a meaty bone though. Big pork neck, beef rib, turkey neck, yum. Anything else doesn't exactly last a long time!
[notify]
Bandit

I luvs slippers

Barked: Tue Aug 20, '13 8:27am PST 
I agree with Maxwell on the bones for comfort foods.

When any of my dogs seem to have tummy troubles or aren't feeling well I make a warm low salt broth mixed with slippery elm that has been cooked with water to make a soup. Never fails to stop vomits or make them more perky due to tummy feeling better. And I've never had a problem getting them to drink it either.
[notify]

Barked: Mon Aug 26, '13 12:09am PST 
Ya I made a special recipe for my dog at my home a few month ago when he was ill. That recipe's name was "Cooked Chicken and Rice Dog Food". The ingredients of this recipe are:

1. 10 lbs. of chicken leg and thigh quarters,
2. 18 eggs including the shells,
3. 5 cups uncooked white rice,
4. 1 tube of Supromega fish oil with natural vitamin E and
5. Dinovite dog supplement which supplies vitamins, minerals, digestive enzymes, zinc and live direct fed microbials.
[notify]
Flicka ~ CGC

NO-ONE is going- to sneak up on- my Mummy

Barked: Sun Sep 8, '13 8:11pm PST 
Bumping to sink the spambots
[notify]