GO!

Balancing calories and fat content.

This is the place to share your best homemade dog food and treat recipes with each other! Remember to use caution if your pet has allergies and to make any diet changes gradually so that your dog's stomach can adjust to the new foods you are introducing.

Charlie

The world is my- food bowl!

Barked: Mon Jul 29, '13 6:45am PST 
I'm planning to feed a good kibble in the morning, and create a recipe for fresh raw and cooked foods in the evening. I planned out percentages, used Sedona's guide, and have found something that I like and does pretty well to meet all the nutritional guidelines. It looks like this:

30% lean meat (chicken w/o skin, venison, lean pork)
30% fatty meat (ground beef, fatty pork)
10% heart (beef)
5% liver/kidney (chicken, beef)
25% sweet potato and vegetable mix (cooked and pureed)
( eggshell for calcium, or bone in the lean meat)

I used nutritiondata.com and everything looks good except the fat content and the calories. The fat is too high and the calories too low. If I replace the fatty meat with more lean meat, the calories go further down. I'm also wondering if maybe nutritiondata is seeing the organs as fatty meats, when I generally only use the lean parts.

As I mentioned in another thread, the calorie count is bothering me because according to calculators online, Charlie should be taking in between 1000-1100 calories per day (44 pound typically active dog). On straight raw, he was eating 2% of his body weight, and only getting between 700-800 calories, but never losing weight. The current recipe will give him about 400 calories for half the day, still seemingly too low.

I'm trying to budget myself and make this all reasonably priced, so I'd rather not have to double all the lean meat content, but I will if that's what it takes. Fat seems to be the easiest calorie raiser, but I can't afford any more of that.

Anyone else have these concerns with calories. I just don't want to feel like I'm not feeding him enough.

Edited by author Mon Jul 29, '13 6:47am PST

[notify]
Maxwell

I'm triple- superior MAD- now!

Barked: Mon Jul 29, '13 1:24pm PST 
If he ate 700-800 calories raw then that is about right for a cooked food too. Start there and feed more of your cooked food if he needs it. Calorie counters are just rough estimates. I think Max is supposed to get 800 calories a day, no way he needs that many. Even the 600 I estimate he gets is probably more than he gets on average.
[notify]
Charlie

The world is my- food bowl!

Barked: Mon Jul 29, '13 7:53pm PST 
Thank you Maxwell smile. I was hoping you'd chime in.
[notify]

Flicka ~ CGC

NO-ONE is going- to sneak up on- my Mummy

Barked: Tue Aug 13, '13 5:29pm PST 
Bumping to get above the spambots
[notify]
Flicka ~ CGC

NO-ONE is going- to sneak up on- my Mummy

Barked: Sun Sep 8, '13 8:12pm PST 
Bumping to sink the spambots AGAIN
[notify]