GO!

Chicken a rice diet. Good? or Bad?

This is the place to share your best homemade dog food and treat recipes with each other! Remember to use caution if your pet has allergies and to make any diet changes gradually so that your dog's stomach can adjust to the new foods you are introducing.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Rocko

SOMEONES AT THE- FRONT DOOR! AHH!

Barked: Wed Jul 24, '13 9:38am PST 
I'm thinking of changing my dogs diet from dog food, to a chicken and rice diet. (Cooked chicken) is that enough or should I add a vegetable? Will just eating chicken and rice every day be healthy for him? Also, how is this diet on his teeth?

Edited by author Thu Aug 1, '13 4:05pm PST

[notify]
Chance

How You Doin'?

Barked: Wed Jul 24, '13 10:59am PST 
Chicken and rice is not enough.

Here is the link to Sedona's "Balancing The Diet in 21 Easy Steps" post in the Home Cooked forum (remove any spaces).

http://www.dogster.com/forums/Home_Prepared_Food_Recipes /thread/640881
[notify]
Vance CGC

You kids g'off- my lawn!

Barked: Wed Jul 24, '13 12:05pm PST 
Chicken and rice alone is not a healthy, balanced diet, although they can be components of one. Definitely check out the homecooking forum and start learning how to balance a homemade diet.

You will likely need to include different types of meat as well as veggies. There are also many equally cheap, healthier alternatives to rice like chick peas, sweet potatoes, squash, lentils, split peas...
[notify]

Maxwell

I'm triple- superior MAD- now!

Barked: Wed Jul 24, '13 12:57pm PST 
Sassy ate a chicken and rice diet for 3.5 years. It wasn't balanced for healthy dogs as she was ill and needed a different nutrient profile. I could have made it balanced with a bit of beef liver, fish oil, bone meal+egg shell, a multi mineral supplement and a vitamin supplement if she had to be on chicken and rice and was a healthy dog. See Sedona's thread - all the info is there.

If your dog is healthy there are more nutritious meats to feed. If you chose a boneless meat then you wouldn't have all the work and wasted money boning the chicken. Lean hamburger and rice maybe? Keep it to a minimum of half meat, half cooked rice+veggies and more meat is better. The most important addition is calcium, add 1/2 tsp of powdered eggshell per pound of food.

Here are a couple of resources for you.
http://dogaware.com/diet/homemade.html
http://www.b-naturals. com/index.php?main_page=newsletters
In particular this one. If I had to cook for Max I would do this.
http://www.b-naturals.com/newsletter/low-glycemic/
[notify]
Flicka ~ CGC

NO-ONE is going- to sneak up on- my Mummy

Barked: Wed Jul 24, '13 9:35pm PST 
Bumping to rise above the spambot slime
[notify]
Squ'mey

too old to eat- any more KD

Barked: Wed Jul 24, '13 11:17pm PST 
dog walk
[notify]
MIKA&KAI

Akita Pals- Always.

Barked: Thu Jul 25, '13 6:06am PST 
wave
[notify]
Benny

Where did I bury- that bone- again...

Barked: Fri Jul 26, '13 10:53am PST 
Cooked chicken and rice is not a balanced diet as previous posters have already mentioned. You need to add different meat components to provide balanced nutrition including vitamins and minerals. Personally I don't feed home made diets but I know you you have to add different organ meats, bone etc to get the right balance of nutrition way to go
[notify]

Barked: Mon Jul 29, '13 5:22am PST 
well, chicken and rice are good diet for your dog. But only these two have not much nutrients to keep a dog healthy. I think you should add some vegetables to the diet of dog since vegetables are source of nutrients. Regarding the teeth's everyday you should brush his teeth because if some part of food stay in mouth then that can create the problem.
[notify]

Barked: Mon Dec 9, '13 10:15pm PST 
fresh lean meat is much better for your dog than dog food. I think dog food does have some fiber.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2