GO!

Homemade grain-free dog food recipes?

This is the place to share your best homemade dog food and treat recipes with each other! Remember to use caution if your pet has allergies and to make any diet changes gradually so that your dog's stomach can adjust to the new foods you are introducing.

Barked: Wed Jul 17, '13 3:42pm PST 
I want to give my 5 pound dog a cooked turkey based dog food but I cannot seem to find any grain free recipes online. Does anyone know of a good site or book that gives recipes for grain free dog food? And how do will I know my dog is getting the right amounts of vitamins, minerals, fat, protein, nutritional value, etc.? Is there any charts out there that say how much of each nutrient a dog needs? Thank you!
[notify]
Maxwell

I'm triple- superior MAD- now!

Barked: Wed Jul 17, '13 6:31pm PST 
Sedona's thread '21 Easy Steps to Balance...." or some such is exactly what you are looking for! I'll bump it up for you. Basically a few very talented people on the raw feeding forum put the nutrient numbers into a spreadsheet so you know what the dog needs. Then use a site such as nutritiondata.com to make up recipes. When you join you can put your own dog's nutritional goals into My Tracking so when you put that recipe in MT you get 0-+999% for each nutrient.

And start today, just substitute a little cooked turkey for some kibble. It is fine to substitute up to 25% of something like that, won't mess up the diet a bit. If you have a recipe that is almost right but you aren't ready to go 100% cooked then you can feed 50/50 cooked and kibble without worrying about your dog keeling over from a lack of selenium or something. Kidding, a well thought out diet is not going to cause any problem!

If you want an actual cookbook the see dogaware.com's page on homecooking. Mary Straus has a number of cookbooks listed with reviews.
http://dogaware.com/diet/homemade.html
[notify]