GO!

Anyone have a Homemade Grain-free dog treat recipe

This is the place to share your best homemade dog food and treat recipes with each other! Remember to use caution if your pet has allergies and to make any diet changes gradually so that your dog's stomach can adjust to the new foods you are introducing.

Barked: Sun Jun 9, '13 5:27pm PST 
I'm looking for a homemade grain-free recipe for dog treats. But I can't find any online that are actually grain-free. Does anyone have any? Or can I substitute whole wheat flour (or other flour) with something like tapioca flour?
[notify]
Bunny

Black dogs rock!

Barked: Sun Jun 9, '13 6:55pm PST 
I have seen some with oatmeal or flaxseedsmile
[notify]
Maxwell

I'm triple- superior MAD- now!

Barked: Sun Jun 9, '13 8:29pm PST 
Just cut meat or liver thin and dry out in the oven. Beef liver comes nicely sliced around here.

Or puree liver and mix with an equal quantity of pureed cooked veggies and an egg, pour on very well greased cookie sheet or parchment paper covered sheet and bake until cooked through at 350*F. Cuts the richness of the liver so you can feed more of it.

I did that with sweet potato, white potato would work well too. Use a tiny bit of garlic so it smells better. Ground meat can work instead of liver if you like or try canned fish.

This stuff is better as training treats than anything else.
[notify]

Kenya

aka: Barkly- McBarker

Barked: Mon Jun 10, '13 8:08am PST 
If you have a coffee grinder, you can make your own flour out of tapioca, organic unsweetened coconut, dried peas or beans, etc. Use in place of the flours called for in any treat recipes you find that you like except for the flour.

I have been doing this and the recipes turn out great. Doggy thumbs up here.
[notify]
Gambit

Barked: Wed Jun 12, '13 6:12pm PST 
Bunny-Oatmeal is a grain.

Maxwell-Thanks I'll have to buy some liver and try that one. smile

Kenya-Thank you I did buy some tapioca flour, but I wasn't sure if your use it the same way and I couldn't find anywhere online to let me know.
[notify]
Mervyn

Bigger is Better

Barked: Sun Jul 14, '13 1:05am PST 
Beef Apple Bones

- 1/4 cup vegetables oil
- 1/4 lb ground beef
- 1 cup beef broth
- 4 cups sweet potato flour
- 2 cups dried apple slices
- 4 tbsp oregano
- 2 tbsp Worcetershire sauce

1. Heat vegetable oil in skiller over medium-high heat. Add ground beef and cook, stirring frequently, until meat is brown, about 3 to 4 minutes.

2. Place cooked beef, including oil, in blender with beef broth. Puree.

3. Place flour, dried apple dices, beef puree, oregano, and Worcestershire sauce in large bowl. Mix thoroughly to combine.

4. Roll out dough on floured surface to about 1/4-inch thick. Using a cookie cutter, cut into bone shapes. Combine dough scraps and comtinue to roll out and cut into shapes until all dough has been used.

5. Place cookies on ungreased foil-lined baking sheets, and bake in a preheated 325 degree oven for 30 to 35 minutes. Turn off oven and let cookies dry in oven for 3 hours or overnight. Makes 5 to 6 dozen cookies.
[notify]