GO!

Birthday Cake Recipes?

This is the place to share your best homemade dog food and treat recipes with each other! Remember to use caution if your pet has allergies and to make any diet changes gradually so that your dog's stomach can adjust to the new foods you are introducing.

Firefly

Life is better- with Sheltie- love.

Barked: Thu Jun 6, '13 9:57am PST 
Hello! wave

I was wondering if anyone had any good recipes for doggie birthday cake? Firefly turns 7 on the 19th, and I like to do things like bake her a special treat and give her gifts.

I was also hoping there was a recipe feline compatible, since three other animals will be at the birthday (two cats and Feta), and Firefly doesn't mind sharing a slice!

Also, the only grain Firefly isn't allergic to is wheat.

Any ideas? smile
[notify]
Arya

Serious Face

Barked: Thu Jun 6, '13 11:45am PST 
I have some links to recipes but it won't let me post them, I'll message you...lol
[notify]
Firefly

Barked: Thu Jun 6, '13 1:27pm PST 
Bol, thanks Arya! smile
[notify]

Ammo

Barked: Fri Jun 7, '13 6:06am PST 
One of my favorite past times is reading through the old threads. I just finished browsing all 61 pages of this forum. There must be at least 25 threads about birthday cake recipes for dogs.
Maybe try a search here and hopefully you could find something to fit your needs.
Happy Birthday pupper.smile
[notify]
Firefly

Barked: Fri Jun 7, '13 6:49am PST 
Thanks Ammo! big grin

We picked a cake out to bake (actually making them into cupcakes). It is a recipe humans and dogs can eat, except the yogurt and mashed potatoe frosting, BOL. The human cupcakes will have cream cheese and graham cracker Scooby snacks. The dog cupcakes will have EVO biscuits on top.
[notify]
Ammo

Barked: Fri Jun 7, '13 9:00am PST 
Awwww. That sounds great. Hope you have a fun celebration, and many more to look forward to.
[notify]
Mervyn

Bigger is Better

Barked: Sun Jul 14, '13 1:11am PST 
Bowzer's Birthday Cake

- 1 lb ground turkey
- 2 carrots, diced
- 1 10-ounce package frozen spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
- 1 cup cooked whole wheat pearl couscous
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 egg, slightly beaten
- 2 hard cooked eggs, sliced

1. Place turkey, carrots, spinach, whole wheat pearl couscous, oil, and raw egg in a large bowl. Mix thoroughly to combine.

2. Pat half the mixture into a greased and waxed-paper-lined 9-inch cake pan.

3. Layer hard cooked egg slices over mixture, then top with remaining meat mixture. Bake in a preheated 350 degree oven for 45 to 50 minuts or until done.

4. Remove from oven and let rest in pan for 5 minutes. Using a large spatula, remove from pan, draining off any grease, and allow to cool on platter for 15 minutes before frosting and serving. Makes 1 cake layer.
[notify]
Ahmad

Mutts Do It- Better

Barked: Sun Jul 14, '13 3:49pm PST 
Creepy Cat Cake

- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 cup old-fashioned oatmeal
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp pumpkin pie spice
- 1/2 cup canned pumpkin
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1 egg, slighly beaten
- 2 tbsp water
- 2 tbsp chopped walnuts
- 2 tbsp raisins (optional)

1. Place flour, oatmeal, baking powder, and pumpkin pie spice in a medium bowl and mix to combine. Make a well in the center.

2. In a seperate bowl, stir together pumpkin, honey, egg, and water.

3. Pour pumpkin mixture into flour mixture and stir for 4 to 5 strokes. Add walnuts and raisins and stir just to combine all ingredients.

4. Spray inside of large cat mold and parchment paper with cooking oil. Place cat mold on parchment-lined cookie sheet. Spoon pumpkin mixture into the mold within 1/4 inch of the top. Remaining batter can be spooned into greased muffin cups and baked alongside the cat. Bake in a preheated 400 degree oven for 20 minutes. Remove from oven and let cool in mold for 5 minutes. Remove from mold and continue cooling on rack. Makes 1 cat cake and about 3 or 4 muffins.

I did this for Ahmad's birthday. I used the raisins. It's a small amount and not enough to hurt the dog.smile
[notify]
Chance

How You Doin'?

Barked: Mon Jul 15, '13 3:05pm PST 
Raisins (and grapes) should not be fed to dogs: RE- Creepy Cat Cake recipe
[notify]
Darcy

Barked: Tue Jul 16, '13 12:48am PST 
I have a ton of recipes. Which one do you want? I’ve also read a lot of older threads with birthday cake recipes on them. Some sound really good. There are tons, too. Here are two recipes for you:

Birthday Cake

- 1 lb cooked floury potatoes
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 lb ground beef
- 3 hard-boiled eggs, peeled and chopped
- 1 bunch finely chopped parsley
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 2 tbsp milk
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 2 tsp rye flour
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- 3 tbsp butter
- 4 tbsp grated Swiss cheese

1. Boil the potatoes in their skins. Peel them and press through a ricer while still warm. Store in a cool place.
2. Fry the ground beef in hot olive oil until the meat is crumbly. Mix in the hard-boiled eggs, Remove from the heat.
3. Mix the riced potatoes with the parsley, eggs, milk, baking powder, rye flour, maple syrup and butter.
4. Preheat the over to 430F.
5. Grease a cake pan. Fill with half of the potato dough and spread the ground beef mixture over the top. Spread the remaining potato dough on top and sprinkle with the cheese. Bake the cake for 40 minutes in the hot oven.
6. Take out the cake pan and place on a wire rack. Cool, then cut into pieces.

Risotto and Spinach Cakes

- 2 tsp virgin olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 cup Arborio rice
- 1 cups organic chicken broth
- ½ cup frozen chopped spinach
- 2 tbsp Romano cheese
- 1 organic egg

1. Heat 2 teaspoons olive oil in a heavy saucepan over medium heat. Add the sliced garlic and Arborio rice, and sauté until the garlic is light brown and the rice is translucent.
2. Heat the chicken broth in another saucepan. Add 1/3-cup hot chicken broth to the rice and stir constantly with a wooden spoon. Keep adding chicken broth and do not add more until the rice absorbs it. If you run out of chicken broth, add water. The whole process should take about 20 minutes, and the goal is to have rice that is firm but not crunch and definitely not chalky. If all else fails, you can cook as you would regular long-grain rice, just don’t tell anyone.
3. Cool the rice in the refrigerator.
4. Add the chopped spinach, grated cheese, and beaten egg to the cold risotto. Mix thoroughly and form into small patties. Coat the bottom of the skillet with olive oil. Heat the oil. Carefully add the spinach-risotto cakes and dry them until they are browned and crunchy. Break apart with a fork and serve over kibble with extra chicken broth if desired.

I agree – no raisins for dogs!
[notify]