GO!

How much to feed?

This is the place to share your best homemade dog food and treat recipes with each other! Remember to use caution if your pet has allergies and to make any diet changes gradually so that your dog's stomach can adjust to the new foods you are introducing.

Koorazh

You can't catch- me!

Barked: Mon May 6, '13 9:35am PST 
I have a 55 pound dog. We do 2.5 mile walk most days, and the rest of the day he is hanging out and sometimes chasing squirrels in his yard. I've recently switched to homemade. I am giving him 1 cup of meat (beef or turkey), 1/2 cup of brown rice, 1/2 cup vegie mix, and some seaweed calcium for a meal.

I am not sure, however, how much of this to give him. I believe that one of the reason that he was having tummy problems (which is what led me to homemade) may have been overeating. He used to free feed kibble, and we didn't have any problems, but once he got to a doggy daycare that had scheduled meal times, he would sometimes skip a meal, then want to make it up later, and I think this began to be an issue.

I can't trust him to tell me how much to give him, especially because he really likes the homemade. The other day he ate 8 cups of this mixture, and it was clearly too much; he was in a lot of GI distress all night. Yesterday he got 5 cups and had slight distress. I'm not sure if there is a causal relationship.

How much does your dog weigh? How active is your dog? And how many cups a day do you feed?

Edited by author Mon May 6, '13 9:36am PST

[notify]
Maxwell

I'm triple- superior MAD- now!

Barked: Mon May 6, '13 7:27pm PST 
Raw fed dogs start with 2% of their ideal body weight and get more or less according to condition. That is 16 ounces a day for a 50 pound dog. You might try that, that is about 2 cups a day. I know that seems like nothing but your food is likely much more concentrated than canned or even kibble. I add water to make a soupy stew so it looks like more food. Might as well, that water is very tasty!

Consider adding about 1/2 ounce of beef liver per 8 ounces of meat for vitamin B12 and copper. Consider using eggs as a cheap and tasty protein. Consider using real fish like salmon, sardines, mackerel, smelt and herring for omega 3 fatty acids.

While half meat is perfectly adequate I would rather feed more meaty stuff - eggs, organ, fish and maybe even dairy. If I had to cook for Max I hope I could offer him the same amount of meat he gets now but add in 25% pureed low calorie veggies for the bulk bone offers in his current raw diet. That would mean your 55 pound guy would get about a pound of meaty stuff a day along with 6 ounces of pureed veggies.

If he really needs that small amount of food then also consider using bone meal instead of sea calcium as otherwise he won't be getting enough phosphorus. I bet he will eat more like 3-4 cups a day though. Fat is good for dogs though, feed plenty of it.

To check how he is doing put your hands on him. You want to be able to easily feel his ribs, backbone, hips, shoulder points and chest point but not see them. Add or subtract half a cup of food a day depending on how he does.
[notify]
Koorazh

You can't catch- me!

Barked: Tue May 7, '13 6:18am PST 
Many thanks. I've seen varying recommendations on the web, so was unsure. Part of my confusion came from confusing descriptions that used either weight or volume. The mixture that I describe above is 2 cups, and weighs 8.6 ounces, so is roughly half a pound of food; one pound would therefore be 4 cups. I've seen websites recommending this for a ten pound dog (!!!). While K would probably eat until he exploded, exploding dog is not a good outcome for either of us.
[notify]

Maxwell

I'm triple- superior MAD- now!

Barked: Wed May 8, '13 3:07am PST 
I much prefer a weight measure to volume measure! 8 ounces is 2 cups? Very fluffy food you have there!

Guess about 4 cups or 1 pound is about right then. Maybe the tummy ache after 5 cups was just because he was still sort of full after getting all he wanted the other time.
[notify]