GO!

Grain free recipies?

This is the place to share your best homemade dog food and treat recipes with each other! Remember to use caution if your pet has allergies and to make any diet changes gradually so that your dog's stomach can adjust to the new foods you are introducing.

(Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 16)  
1  2  
Elvis Pawsly-

The king.

Barked: Wed Apr 24, '13 9:50am PST 
I am making a new batch tonight, just to make sure I have enough, even so it lasted 5 days so not bad smile with this batch I am going to add hamburger along with the chicken. I not saying they arent allowed high purine food at all, just have to be caredul. tonight recipe will be 2 pounds chicken, 2 pounds hamburger, 1 pound veggies. 1 cup lentils. then about 3 sweet potatoes and 4 regular potatoes. also add 1 green squash to the mix and some fish oil smile. Might try adding some liver too to see how they do. I keep an eye on their ph levels myself ( yes i'm the crazy lady in the yard holding a stick under her dogs pee flow) so i know if they purines are too high for them or not. That thread is it the 21 easy steps? is that the correct thread?

And the food did smell good cooking, I even had a taste - wasn't too bad smile I figure I add eggs and 1 spoonful of canned dog food and then low sodium chicken broth to their bowls they will be fine without the herbs and spices wink They will be weighing 55-60 pounds at adult weight So I'll cut them back to 2 1/2 cups. That should be about right. But I weigh them weekly ( using wii fit so not sure how accurate) so I'll keep track on their weight and adjust they food accordingly.
[notify]
Maxwell

I'm triple- superior MAD- now!

Barked: Wed Apr 24, '13 2:04pm PST 
That is the one!

So the goal is to keep pH at a certain level? I would rather do mg of purine per pound of dog than test urine all the time but it does sound like it is exactly how to tell how the dogs are doing. Maybe you could add a rough estimate of the amount of purines going in the dogs to the analysis of each recipe and lower the amounts of higher purine foods if pH seems to be changing the wrong way?

You sure are a good dog parent! Do you know the dogs have both copies of the gene and can get stones or are you being super cautious?
[notify]
Elvis Pawsly-

The king.

Barked: Wed Apr 24, '13 4:39pm PST 
Yeah I could do that but of rather just test with strips, I only do it once a week so not that bad smile I'm not sure if they have the gene. They are poorly bred so I like to take extra precaution with them smile I try my best with them ! I have vet apt tomorrow for both dogs so I am going to see what vet says about everything too
[notify]

Elvis Pawsly-

The king.

Barked: Fri May 17, '13 10:34pm PST 
Well Maxwell I think you will be pleased...I have started a complete raw diet smile Today was day 2 ! I have tried it before and it didn't work out...But now I have done more research...BUT what about organs? I know Dalmatian can't handle the purines in liver or organs...so is there vitamins I can give instead? I am giving a heart ( I know, considered a muscle meat, but better than nothing) to see how they do and I will try chicken liver if I can find some later on.
[notify]
Maxwell

I'm triple- superior MAD- now!

Barked: Sat May 18, '13 7:23am PST 
Hope the raw diet goes better this time.

Lots of Dal owners feed raw, not sure what changes they make other than mostly feeding chicken, eggs and pulverized veggies though. It sure would be nice if you had a number to shoot for rather than "purines are bad and liver is high in purines". Phosphorus was bad for Sassy but I had a number and could work a small amount of liver into the amount of phosphorus she was allowed.
[notify]
Elvis Pawsly-

The king.

Barked: Mon May 20, '13 10:02am PST 
yeah, I am working the organs in slowly while keeping an eye on their ph to make sure they can handle them. Every dog is different so who knows, one or both may be able to handle Organs. Although Ozzy is having an issue with Low Ph ( high Ph is usually the problem) So I have to figure out how to lower that. A high Ph could be indication of UTI I am trying to avoid the trip to the vet...Not looking forward to the "raw is bad for you dog" speech. Ozzys normal is 7.0 which is perfect but today reading was 7.5 Elvis had a low PH the other day but is back to normal, so he might be able to work it out on his own. I am going to test him for the next 3 days and see how it goes.
[notify]
  (Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 16)  
1  2