GO!

Grain free recipies?

This is the place to share your best homemade dog food and treat recipes with each other! Remember to use caution if your pet has allergies and to make any diet changes gradually so that your dog's stomach can adjust to the new foods you are introducing.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Elvis Pawsly-

The king.

Barked: Thu Apr 18, '13 9:31pm PST 
I am looking for grain free home cooked recipes? This is what I currently am currently feeding my two:

1.5 lb ground or finely chopped chicken - I used 1 pound hamburger instead.
2 cups sweet potato - will be using 3 cups next time.

2 cups frozen chopped or fresh vegetables - I used carrots, green beans and squash.

2 cups cooked lentils - Will be using 1 cup next time

1 cup cottage cheese;
1/8 cup olive oil;
1/8 cup basil - dry or fresh chopped;
1/8 cup rosemary - dry or fresh chopped;
1/2 cup dried parsley or fresh chopped;
1/8 cup turmeric;
1/8 cup sage

They seem to really love it ! Today was the first day and they haven't had any digested problems with it, poop was all solid. I suggest if you ise this recipe to cut down on the Lintels and add more carbs, I am choosing to add more sweet potatoes smile
[notify]
Maxwell

I'm triple- superior MAD- now!

Barked: Fri Apr 19, '13 1:58pm PST 
Glad the dogs liked it and did well on it.

I count 3 cups of meaty stuff and 7 cups of plant stuff though. Could you use more meaty stuff and less plant stuff? Half and half is a minimum, 3/4 meaty stuff is often suggested. Use some eggs and save the eggshell to powder and add as a calcium source for sure. Dogs need a lot more calcium per pound than humans. 38 pound Max needs as much as an adult human! Add about 1/2 powdered egg shell per pound of food and it will come out about right.

Why so many herbs and spices? I know turmeric is great but parsley is a diuretic that can dehydrate and rosemary can be a seizure trigger for some dogs. They might have benefits too, just need to research to choose what will work best for your pack. You might try one at a time, research its effects well, see how the dogs react and switch to another to see how you like it and so on. I find cooked dog food smells great even without any seasoning. Taste, not so much!

Try adding a bit of liver too. About 1 ounce per pound of food is plenty. Try adding a bit of fatty fish like salmon, sardines, mackerel or herring too. I personally cannot stand the smell of fish so would offer that up outside as a treat rather than mix with food cooking!

Glad you tried hamburger first. Chicken isn't as high in minerals and vitamins as red meats so your food is probably going to be high enough in iron and zinc once the meat content is increased if you continue to feed hamburger.

Keep on trying different starchy veggies and legumes and meats, just try to keep the proportions weighted towards the meaty side.

For serving size you could try the raw feeding method. A raw fed dog starts at 2% of their ideal adult weight and you adjust from there. So a 50 pound dog starts with 16 ounces which is about 2 cups of food, a 75 pound dog starts with 24 ounces, a 15 pound dog starts with about 6 ounces a day total. Your homecooking likely has a lot less water than canned so while a 50 pound dog might need 2 large cans of food a day you only need to offer up a single can's worth as those large cans are 15 ounces, right?
[notify]
Elvis Pawsly-

The king.

Barked: Fri Apr 19, '13 10:11pm PST 
I'm on the cell so will give better response tomorrow once I am on computer. My two can't have organ meats and hamburger only once awhile, cooked up a batch using chicken today. I tweaked the recipe a little. I pit 1 pound chicken 1 pound veggies. 2 cup sweet potato and about 4 red potatoes. And only 1 cup lentils. Then only a little fresh sea salt and sage for seasons. They are getting 3 cups each for now but will be adjusting proportions to their needs smile
[notify]

Maxwell

Barked: Sat Apr 20, '13 10:30am PST 
Oops, missed the spots!

Well lentils and other legumes are no good either then. Use eggs and dairy with some chicken. Maybe nuts as well? I would still try for half meaty and half veggie though. Those sweet potatoes and white ones would be good for calories. Do google those herbs and spices to see where they stand. Parsley is fairly high in purines at 57mg/100grams for instance.

I keep coming up with this chart and wonder why fatty meat like beef chuck is unacceptable. Also wonder if there is a number you are shooting for. It was really nice to have that 11mg phosphorus per pound of dog number as an absolute ceiling for Sassy's food. Otherwise who knows how little phosphorus I would have been giving her hoping it would keep her going and happy longer. Phosphorus is an essential nutrient and purine isn't of course!
http://www.acumedico.com/purine.htm

I am sure you have seen this link.
http://www.dogaware.com/articles/wdjotherstones.html#purinediet
Y ou aren't interested in feeding raw, actually bone has 30% protein so this is higher in protein than it sounds.

Dr. Billinghurst still suggests a tiny bit of liver a week. See near the bottom of this page. Best source natural source of B12 and copper out there.
http://hattrickdalmatians.com/PreventingUrateStoneFormation. html

Do Dals need the same minerals as normal dogs? If so you might need to supplement zinc, iron and copper and likely all the B vitamins as well as the usual E. Veggies and the white proteins you will be using are low in minerals. Use this resource to find foods high in low minerals. Actually white potatoes are rich in iron at least.
http://nutritiondata.self.com/tools/nutrient-search
[notify]
Elvis Pawsly-

The king.

Barked: Sun Apr 21, '13 4:06pm PST 
Okay I Just bought all of those supplements..now how do I figure out how much they need? I bought calcium instead of the eggshell. Ozzy is 40 pounds and Elvis is 45 pounds.
[notify]
Elvis Pawsly-

The king.

Barked: Sun Apr 21, '13 5:32pm PST 
Oh! And I stopped with those seasonings just to be safe only thing they got was sea salt. They get 4000 mg salmon oil I did supplements tonight and this is what I gave: zinc- 50 mg
B complex- 1 pill didn't say mg for each pill tho. E- 400 I.u calcium - 600 mg does that sound about right? Elvis is 45 lbs and 0zzy is 40 lbs
[notify]
Maxwell

Barked: Sun Apr 21, '13 6:23pm PST 
See Sedona's thread on balancing the home made diet. There is a link to a spreadsheet there. Work on getting the food closer to what the dogs need every time you cook but don't worry about getting it perfect right away, just keep the purine thing in mind like you have been doing and try to use more meaty stuff. *I* wish you used more meaty stuff but your recipe does have plenty of protein for the dogs.
http://www.dogster.com/forums/Home_Prepared_Food_Recipes/thre ad/640881

A 45 pound dog needs ~1250mg calcium a day and 19mg of zinc for starters. Just don't give zinc tomorrow and feed closer to the right amount of calcium tomorrow. Zinc, iron and copper do need to be fed carefully, more is not better. They can be toxic in large amounts. A 45 pound dog needs ~9.5mg of vitamin E a day or 15in a day BUT when giving fish oil you need to give more. I give Max that same huge 400iu cap but only a couple times a week and just bought liquid so I can give a couple drops daily as giving huge amounts of a fatty vitamin just doesn't seem a good idea to me. Sassy took 1mg of B complex per pound of dog as her home cooked chicken and rice was pretty much B vitamin free so a B50 is about right. Likely most of the Bs are just fine but it is okay to overdo them all as the dog will pee extra right out. I always pilled the B as it is supposed to taste nasty and I didn't want to do anything to put Sassy off her food but do put zinc and E into Max's food.
[notify]
Elvis Pawsly-

The king.

Barked: Sun Apr 21, '13 9:04pm PST 
okay thanks smile And i did another batch last night, I did 3 pounds of organic chicken 1 pound organic veggies and 1 1/2 cup of the lentils then about 2 sweet potatoes and 4 organic white potatoes. So It is a little more meat than the last batch smile I'm sure their bodies will let me know if they are lacking anything, right? I also added some ground flax seeds on top of their food smile
[notify]
Elvis Pawsly-

The king.

Barked: Tue Apr 23, '13 10:46pm PST 
do you think 3 cups is enough for them? Should I increase this once they reach 40 lbs? I'm not sure how it is with the feeding guidelines. I was feeding them about 3 1/2 c kibble.
[notify]
Maxwell

Barked: Wed Apr 24, '13 12:33am PST 
You have to watch very closely to see any problems and there might not be any issues even if the diet is low in something or another. They probably would just be better with all the t's crossed and i's dotted. A little happier and content most likely. Max's fur is blacker and denser when he gets his manganese and magnesium, sort of a minor subjective change. Work through the steps in Sedona's thread and try to get closer bit by bit to what we know dogs need.

Don't worry about getting it perfect right away, you will learn more and switch things just a little at a time the way you have been. If you work with what you have been doing then small changes with each batch won't be a huge change for the dogs which can cause upset tummies. This week you increased B vitamins, zinc and calcium and meat, next week you may find a good source of iron or copper to add in and settle on how much zinc and calcium to add and the week after decide that a different combination of veggies is lower in purines. Then you may figure out that something else is low or high and switch around a bit. Meanwhile the dogs are happy campers unless they start getting chunky and you cut the rations back!

That was a big change, you went from 3/10 meat to 1/2 meat. Did the food smell good cooking even without all the herbs and spices? We always wanted chicken soup for dinner when I cooked for Sassy, plain food is good too. Do try herbs and spices but consider cost and nutrient value. There are very few foods dogs cannot have. Nutmeg, macadamia nuts, onions, lots of garlic, grapes, chocolate and xylitol off hand. Some of them may be good additions to the diet and some be expensive and not important.

The food you are making is likely more concentrated in calories than kibble or canned food. If you want the dogs to weigh 50 pounds then this week give them 2 cups of food a day total, if 75 pounds then go for 3 cups a day. Then check their condition and feed more or less depending on how they did. Sassy could drop serious weight in a day of heavy work, you may notice changes faster than a week too.

Max got super fat on home cooking. I gave him 2 cups a day when he needed 1.5 cups a day as a 33 pound adult dog. His silly flippy fur hid the evidence and I didn't buy an accurate scale. He ended up with a table top back and skin that was taut like a sausage casing even though he still had a nice looking tuck. This happened over a few months and took over a year to take off.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2