GO!

I need help getting started on a good home prepared diet for Delilah

This is the place to share your best homemade dog food and treat recipes with each other! Remember to use caution if your pet has allergies and to make any diet changes gradually so that your dog's stomach can adjust to the new foods you are introducing.

Barked: Thu Apr 4, '13 8:05am PST 
We decided, after finding out the large sores on our cat were due to allergies, to get both our puppy and cat off kibble. Plus, I wouldn't eat dog food so I don't want to feed it to my baby. (I do not in any way disagree with others feeding their babies kibble just my personal preference.)
I want to feed my Weimaraner a home prepared diet but I am being overloaded with all the random, completely contradicting information out on the web.
So my concerns:
-She is a 4 month old Weimeraner
-I know large breed puppies need a different kind of diet than smaller breed puppies but does that only extend to the calcium they are supposed to receive?
-will she need supplements?
-I want to keep it cooked with having 2 small mischievous children around
-what is the best possible diet I can feed her?

I am pretty intent on this kind of diet.
So can anyone help me?
[notify]
Maxwell

I'm triple- superior MAD- now!

Barked: Thu Apr 4, '13 9:21am PST 
All that conflicting information is because dogs can do fine on nearly any odd bits of food they get!

I have fed good enough kibble [back before the super powered no grain ones], home cooked grainy food and raw and I do think fresh food is amazing. I didn't think Max had any issues with food but on high fat, high protein raw his fur is twice as long and thicker, his eye goobers are gone if he hasn't gotten into any grainy stuff lately and it goes on. Sassy had life long anal sac build ups that nearly ceased when she was on home cooked chicken and rice. Both dogs never turned down a meal but you can plainly see they would rather have nice smelly wet fresh food.

Here is some reading for you.
http://www.dogaware.com/diet/homemade.html
Practically a book there already and there are links to further reading and book reviews. And if you are already feeding kibble there is a section on how to add fresh food to kibble. Just mixing a little scrambled egg and ground beef into kibble not only makes it super yummy but probably always improves its nutrition profile.

If I was forced to stop feeding Max raw I would like to feed this sort of thing. 3/4 meat, fish, egg, organ with 1/4 pureed low calorie veggies plus calcium. Loads of information about feeding puppies there too.
http://www.b-naturals.com/newsletter/low-glycemic/

And our own marvelous Sedona worked up a great how to balance a diet perfectly if feeding bits and pieces at first is intimidating, it sure was for me. Some browsers work better for nutritiondata.com than others. I just use Firefox and there are a couple of glitches but nothing serious.
http://www.dogster.com/forums/Home_Prepared_Food_Recipes/t hread/640881

I know I would simply balance the diet and feed the same amount my pup would get as an adult. I would be sure to get the calcium and phosphorus right which likely means using a combination of bone meal and egg shell rather than just the often suggested egg shell alone. I would split that food into as many meals as necessary for pup to be able to digest well it and stay lean but not too ribby.

Advanced technique - Don't get stuck on a single recipe. Get pup on one combination of foods and once that is good make up the next recipe using maybe 25% of something different, pork instead of beef, broccoli instead of carrots. That way you can take advantage of what is on sale rather than scrambling to find THE veggy off season. While different foods do have differing nutrient profiles you can expand Sedona's method and make up a super recipe with all the foods you offer to see if there are any gaps overall to fill. For example while raw fed Max often eats zinc rich beef and manganese rich tripe if I put the amounts in a master recipe he is still short so I supplement zinc and manganese even when he is getting beef and tripe.
[notify]
Jake & Sweet- Caroline

Tricolored- Hounds for life!

Barked: Thu Apr 4, '13 9:22am PST 
I feed raw with even mulitiple children in the home at different times. Just so you know big grin

But if you are set on homecooked. I think dogaware.com has some good recepies for cooking at home for your pup. I make my guys a veggie/oatmeal/*some protein usually cheap fish or soemthing* breakfast wetfood (technically homecooked) and then they eat raw for dinner.

I've never cooked for a puppy though. Jake is almost 5 and Caroline is 10. Had him for about 1.5 years and had her a month this saturday. I use suppliments because i want to make sure they have extra.

I've been reading loads of books and peer reviewed articles about dog and cat food and i've found raw works best for me. Hopefully someone with some pup experience will come by. If not I'd check out dogaware.com and then look into buying some dog cook books. I owen a few of them and rented others from libraries. Dr. P's book is really good.

Do you know what is causing the allergies? Is it a protein? a filler?

My beagle is allergic to grains, glutten intollerent, soy intollerant, corn/ maize intollerant and prok (protein) just makes him sick.

Sweetie as far as i've observed can eat anythign with no ill affect but she and jake are on the same diet as they often take one another's food.
[notify]

Jake & Sweet- Caroline

Tricolored- Hounds for life!

Barked: Thu Apr 4, '13 9:36am PST 
Also though this may be contested here

Cats are carnivors meaning they need to eat a diet of mostly meat if not all meat. They should not have any more then 5g of carb source per kg of body weight if you feed a carb at all. And do not starve your cat. It can kill it.

Dogs are omnivourous but even they shouldn't have more then 12g of carb for 1 kg of body weight.

example my beagle is 30lbs and so that's 13.6kg. 163.2 g ( which is .35lbs or 5.75oz) of carb a day. My dog eats about 16 oz of meat a day and usually less then 4 oz of carb (only because i decided to feed them breakfast in their kongs).

If you decide to home cook you will need a good suppliment since cooking denatures and kill a lot of vitamins and nutrients. I feed home cooking as a suppliment to my raw diet only cuz my furkids like to eat. *as they are hounds).

** Carb to kg ratio taken from The Waltham book of companion animal nutrition
Volume 2 of Waltham Centre for Pet Nutrition, Vol 2
Pergamon veterinary handbook series

unfortunately i cant afford the newest version of this book. Hopefully I'll have time today to read the newest edition of Cat and Dog Nutrition from the Vet Society big grin
[notify]
Maxwell

I'm triple- superior MAD- now!

Barked: Thu Apr 4, '13 11:35am PST 
Here is an actual recipe I would feed although I would prefer no rice. No way it can feed a 25 pound adult dog for a week though, more like 2-3 days.
http://nutrition.tripawds.com/2010/03/23/high-protien-low-fat -dog-food-recipe-from-the-canine-ancestral-diet/
and another
http://www.susanwynn.com/Homemade_Diet_Recipe.php

I wouldn't stick to one of these but learn how to formulate my own recipe. It sure is a big job starting out though.

I vote raw too but I do kind of miss cooking for Sassy. If you are concerned about bacteria and dogs then cooking will be much cleaner than kibble for sure.
[notify]
Hank

Is it dinner- time yet?

Barked: Tue Apr 23, '13 2:34pm PST 
Hi! My dog Hank is a 4 month old puppy and is on a 100% raw diet and I have a 2yo and 4yo so vinegar is my best friend smile

I started out homecooking for him but after a few weeks went to raw because of all the supplementing like bone meal for calcium, fish oil for omega etc...I just moved to raw and never looked back. Their are some great home cooked recipes and tips online though for you to check out!
[notify]
Kyia

Kyiamentary

Barked: Sat Apr 27, '13 7:02pm PST 
i had my shih tzu on raw for 4 years and my yorkie for two years. i just switched them both to home cooked. my shih tzu had a lot of issues clear up for her, but she smelled really bad. within a couple of days she smelt great, i love the raw diet, but it is not for every dog. if you want a good home cooked guide, get dr.pitcairns book complete guide to natural health for dogs and cats.

i followed this with my first yorkie who lived 18 years. smile for calcium, i use dried egg shells and put them through a coffee grinder or take cooked chicken bones that others threw away and put them in the vitamix with some water, flax seeds, coconut oil, enzymes, whatever you want to add to it. until liquid. put in fridge and add to food daily.
[notify]