GO!

Better in the Raw

This is the place to share your best homemade dog food and treat recipes with each other! Remember to use caution if your pet has allergies and to make any diet changes gradually so that your dog's stomach can adjust to the new foods you are introducing.

(Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 14)  
1  2  
Kody & Kacy

We're waiting- for it!

Barked: Mon Mar 11, '13 4:01am PST 
Thanks for sharing your experience with BITR. I'm going to hold off for now.

I meant "uncle" regarding an "all in one" type of supplement. Didn't mean I'm giving up on raw. I'm going to just supplement E for now, maybe fish/salmon oil for when I can't get whole fish. And I'll continue trying to "suss" out the best way to make sure they're getting all they need, but taking a break from the spreadsheet for a week or so. My head is about to explode!!

I do so thank you for taking the time to try to help me. I just can't seem to GET IT...

Donna
[notify]
Maxwell

I'm triple- superior MAD- now!

Barked: Mon Mar 11, '13 8:32am PST 
Try putting in sunflower seeds, kelp and/or oysters as whole foods that are rich in some of the stuff PMR is low in. I would have to use more than I am comfortable using of the seeds and kelp so have been all waffly on using them.

Really, compare your dog's needs to kibble - kind of scary how over many of the nutrients are.
[notify]
Bullie

Barked: Wed Mar 13, '13 12:16am PST 
I treat my dogs' nutrition like I treat my kids' nutrition. Holistically. Give them good quality natural whole foods appropriate to their species and supplement with whole foods or synthetics if necessary when deficiencies manifest itself.

No need to over think it.
[notify]

Maxwell

I'm triple- superior MAD- now!

Barked: Wed Mar 13, '13 7:03am PST 
That's the problem, we have trouble recognizing deficiencies. How many dog owners think anal sac issues, smelly fur, bad breath, bad ears and eyes, heavy shedding, allergies and worst of all a wonky digestive tract is just because a dog is a dog and don't even know sometimes diet can help.

Max's manganese/magnesium thing is very subtle, his head fur is longer and blacker? I mean really, that is nothing! One just has to wonder what is going on inside him.

And it isn't particularly easy figuring out if a diet is deficient as one has to search out the requirements, figure out what foods to use and make up recipes. Here on Dogster all that can be found. I don't know where else on the web picky dog owners can find the information to put a NRC balanced diet together.
[notify]
  (Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 14)  
1  2