GO!

Substitute for Organ-Raw Diet Boston terrier

This is the place to share your best homemade dog food and treat recipes with each other! Remember to use caution if your pet has allergies and to make any diet changes gradually so that your dog's stomach can adjust to the new foods you are introducing.

Barked: Thu Mar 7, '13 4:18pm PST 
Hello,

I have a boston terrier who has been eating raw for about 4 months. The benefits I noticed initially are the smelly breath is gone and the gas was gone. Until recently. I've noticed when I feed her liver, she is especially gassy.

Is there a substitute for liver/organs on a raw diet? A supplement perhaps?

Thank you.
[notify]
Maxwell

I'm triple- superior MAD- now!

Barked: Thu Mar 7, '13 6:51pm PST 
What liver is bothering her? Perhaps a different kind would be okay? If beef is bothering her try lamb. If you are giving chicken try beef or pork or lamb.

Sure you could balance the diet without liver but it really is the best and cheapest source of some important nutrients.

Four months is really early on to be worried about liver being a problem too. Perhaps feed half the amount she needs for a couple weeks and increase a little every week to see if things improve.
[notify]

Barked: Sun Mar 10, '13 2:47pm PST 
I'll try cutting the amount. She was getting about 1-1.5 oz of chicken liver a day. Thank you for your response!
[notify]

Maxwell

I'm triple- superior MAD- now!

Barked: Sun Mar 10, '13 3:50pm PST 
Max is 38 pounds and only gets 3.5 ounces of liver a WEEK. The other 3.5 ounces of organ are kidney and other organs. Even if you cannot find kidney, pancreas or other secreting organs stick to liver being half of the 10% of the organ part of the diet.
[notify]