GO!

Can this Home Made recipe enough to keep my Dog healthy?

This is the place to share your best homemade dog food and treat recipes with each other! Remember to use caution if your pet has allergies and to make any diet changes gradually so that your dog's stomach can adjust to the new foods you are introducing.

SLY

Barked: Sun Feb 17, '13 9:40pm PST 
Mixed Ground Beef,eggs,white rice,carrots and cottage cheese. 2 teaspoon yogart every meal (twice a day).

I gave him 1 whole (no skin/no bones) boiled chicken thigh 4-5 times a week.

Snacks: Liver bisquits, carrots and apples.

Im not sure if my dog's getting enough nutrients he needs.
Thank you smile
[notify]
Maxwell

I'm triple- superior MAD- now!

Barked: Mon Feb 18, '13 7:43am PST 
Amounts fed please. Meat is where it is at for dogs so while 1 cup of ground beef and 1/2 cup of cooked rice might be okay the reverse might be protein starving your pet.

Is there any calcium fed outside the amount in the cottage cheese? If you only fed cottage cheese there might be enough calcium but otherwise there won't be enough and of course while cottage cheese is fine for part of a diet it doesn't contain all a dog needs. So for today save some of the egg shell and powder it. Mix in 1/2 tsp of that powder per pound or 2 cups of food fed and that will go a long way to helping out the diet.
[notify]
SLY

Barked: Tue Feb 19, '13 4:19pm PST 
Its 2 cups meat, 4 cups rice, 3/4 cup carrots, 2 eggs and 6 tablespoon cottage cheese. I feed him 2 cups a day plus 1 whole chiken thigh (no bones/no skin). The feed him 3 tsp of yogart every after meal as well.

Not sure if this is enough..
Thanks for the info smile
[notify]

Maxwell

Barked: Tue Feb 19, '13 9:22pm PST 
He is a small dog right? Max was 33 pounds when he went on cooked food. 1.5 cups was too much food so he got super fat - and happy. Keep your hands on him and cut back if he gets a bit thick skinned anywhere.

Max gets raw food - meat, bony meat and organ but if I was feeding him cooked food I wouldn't give him any grains, just some veggies to firm up the poop. I would give Max about 1 cup of meat, couple eggs a week, couple ounces of live a week and/or fish along with 1/3 cup of pureed green leafy veggies. If the cottage cheese and yogurt suit you both then they are fine. Many dogs don't tolerate dairy but it is fine to feed otherwise.

Most important give him calcium! Max needs as much calcium as an adult human! Yogurt won't cut it, put in some powdered eggshell. It doesn't take much, just 1/2 tsp per pound of meaty stuff but it is essential.

Just do the calcium for the batch you have cooked up. Think about cutting back on the rice to 2 cups at most per 2 cups of meat+the rest. Vary the veggy fed. Get a pound of beef liver and put in an ounce per 2 cups [pound] of meat and he will be fine until you get the itch to make it even better and tastier. Fish is good stuff, maybe use a can of sardines a week for him?
[notify]
SLY

Barked: Wed Feb 20, '13 12:35am PST 
My dog is a 16-month old Japanese Spitz (14 kg). I will try the egg shell as I am more concern he's not getting enough calcium. He used to take nutri-plus gel but I stopped for he's getting too energetic and he wont sleep at night. I will try to give him sardines once in a while. He only likes carrots, no other veggies. I will still feed him 1 1/2 cup of the rice mixture and 1 chicken thigh (daily). Do you know any other supplements that will not give my dog too much energy? hehe
Thanks heaps!
[notify]

Barked: Wed Feb 20, '13 1:27pm PST 
More rice than meat... I don't like it. Dog food needs to be meat-heavy.
[notify]
Maxwell

Barked: Wed Feb 20, '13 2:06pm PST 
Actually on raw Max calmed down. He is still a pest about the poor mailman but it is more informational barking than panic that we are getting invaded by the bogeyman barking. That means he mostly only gets meat, bone and organ. No veggies, no grains except the bits he begs from us a couple times a week. I suspect carbs wreak havoc on his blood sugar levels and make him hyper sensitive to stimuli. He is a senior dog that came to fresh food at the age of 7 and raw at the age of nearly 8 years old.

You might consider using this recipe. It is developed by a couple of people I trust, Steve Brown and Mary Straus. The feeding directions are all wrong for some reason, no way that will feed a 25 pound dog for a whole week, more like 3-4 days. And the rice is cooked before weighing.
http://nutrition.tripawds.com/2010/03/23/high-protien-low -fat-dog-food-recipe-from-the-canine-ancestral-diet/

If that piques your interest a lot of the book Steve Brown wrote is on Google books. Scrolling through this link shows a number of recipes. Good luck finding the sneaky space dogster puts into links!
http://books.google.com/books?id=xbLtfZcQvTcC&pg=PA76&lpg=PA 76&dq=Canine+Ancestral+Diet+recipe&source=bl&ots=C1-xr6XY3Z&sig=ytD9 yiifCb0FTptVn8GT50lGy3k&hl=en&sa=X&ei=bEclUcCnGZLWiALi74HYDQ&ved=0CF wQ6AEwBg#v=onepage&q=Canine%20Ancestral%20Diet%20recipe&f=false

A s for not liking veggies, don't switch all at once. Cook a bit of the new veggie up and mix well into the already cooked food and next time you cook use maybe 25% of the new to 75% of old and time after than half and half. Some dogs are careful eaters and don't believe you when you tell them that is a good food.
[notify]
SLY

Barked: Wed Feb 20, '13 7:09pm PST 
Hi! Thanks a lot for all the info... I will check the links provided.
I will also try the powdered egg shells for extra calcium smile

Thanks heaps!
[notify]