GO!

Home made elimination diet

This is the place to share your best homemade dog food and treat recipes with each other! Remember to use caution if your pet has allergies and to make any diet changes gradually so that your dog's stomach can adjust to the new foods you are introducing.

Obi

Barked: Sun Jan 27, '13 2:04pm PST 
I am about to start an elimination diet with my dog. I really do not want to feed the Rx food. Right now I am thinking of doing honest kitchen's preference and venison. Has any one had any experiences with the elimination diet? Or the honest kitchen preference? Thanks!
[notify]
Chance

How You Doin'?

Barked: Sun Jan 27, '13 3:19pm PST 
When we did an elimination diet it was 1 protein the dog had never had before and 1 veg/starch the dog had never had before. That's all the dog got for a period of several weeks - no supplements or fish oil or vitamins.
[notify]

Barked: Thu Feb 7, '13 10:17pm PST 
ohhh really
[notify]

Bullie

Barked: Wed Mar 6, '13 3:15pm PST 
Yes, I've been on an elimination diet with my dogs before. It's a tedious process but is the only way to determine if your dog's allergy is food related. Yes, you can get a blood test but they're prone to false positives and false negatives when it comes to food.

I home-made my own dog food.

Basically, this is the process of doing this:
1.) Feed your dog one protein source. If you can get something he has not had before (like rabbit) so much the better. You can do the PMR method where you just feed that prey item, or you can do the BARF method where you mix it with one carb item (like cooked rice or cooked potato). But, stick with one animal source and one carb source. When I did this, I started with turkey and rice and cottage cheese (you can find recipes off google) and a vitamin and mineral powder from the vet.

Do this for at least 8 weeks. If the allergy is still present, then try another protein source and carb source for another 8 weeks.

If the allergy is still present, then it might not be the food. If the allergy is gone, then go on to step 2.

2.) Verify that it is REALLY the food by giving him his old food for 3-5 days. If the allergy is back, then you are assured it is the food. Go on to step 3.

3.) Feed the elimination recipe for another week and start introducing another animal source after a week to figure out which one triggers an allergy. Give the new animal source for 3-5 days and see if the allergy gets triggered. If it doesn't, then add that food to the non-allergen list. If it triggers the allergy, put it on the allergen list and find another meat. Do the same thing for the carbs.

After this, you should have a good idea of which things your dog is allergic to.

It's a looooonnnggg, tedious process.
[notify]