GO!

Not human grade meat

This is the place to share your best homemade dog food and treat recipes with each other! Remember to use caution if your pet has allergies and to make any diet changes gradually so that your dog's stomach can adjust to the new foods you are introducing.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Kloppers

Barked: Thu Jan 3, '13 10:04am PST 
I have decided to finally make the switch to all home cooking, as Bella has now developed an allergy to peas. The local butcher sells meat for raw feeding, but it says not meant for human consumption. The prices are pretty good, 30lbs of vension is 48 dollars. I will have to cook this though because Bella can not handle raw meats. I am hoping to do home cooking but no grains and very little veggies and fruits. So her diet will be mostly vension, salmon, rabbit, and duck(hopefully). They also have an organ meat mix but I was thinking I would just get those somewhere else. I am planning on using eggshells for calcium. She already takes fish oil, and Vit E. She has some health issues but her vet highly recommended homecooking for her, she has hypothyroidism, early renal disease, allergies, and bad heart (3 leaking valves and a hole between L and R atruim).

So would this be an okay thing to do? I am out if ideas on dry food and the premade raw we tried did not go over well(prey model was scary because we have gulpers in this house)Bella has several food allergies and intolerances. She can not have chicken, beef, lamb, turkey, potatoes, sweet potatoes, corn, wheat, soy, lentils, peas, there might be more but this is all I can come up with right now. She had been eating NVI Salmon, but then she stopped thriving on it, so we started supplementing with some homecooked. Now we want to go all the way for all the house animals.

Link to meat supplier

http://www.centralmeats.com/content.asp?pl=260&contentid =379

Edited by author Thu Jan 3, '13 3:22pm PST

[notify]
Chance

How You Doin'?

Barked: Thu Jan 3, '13 11:57am PST 
As long as it is all meat and doesn't have bone in it, I would not have a problem buying it from the butcher.
[notify]
Maxwell

I'm triple- superior MAD- now!

Barked: Thu Jan 3, '13 12:23pm PST 
Contact Blue Ridge, the meat supplier, and ask them about this. Since it isn't human grade it has been treated somehow so it wouldn't be eaten by people. What does Blue Ridge do to make it pet grade and can it be cooked and eaten safely? Some providers color the meat with charcoal, doubt that would be a problem. My supplier grinds bone into some of the pet foods. The whole boneless stuff he sells is very high in connective tissues and tends to be stinky so people wouldn't be tempted. Max cannot digest cooked connective tissue but raw is fine and of course he doesn't mind a bit of stink a bit. If that is the case you may end up stewing for long periods of time and the meat could be on the stinky side. Not exactly ideal.

Lucky girl, you are going all out for her health.
[notify]

Kloppers

Barked: Thu Jan 3, '13 3:05pm PST 
I called them and they said the only reason it is not human grade is it has not been inspected like human grade meats. Some of the foods do have ground bone in them, but they are labeled at such. Why would those ones be bad? They called the bone, coarse ground.

Edited by author Thu Jan 3, '13 3:07pm PST

[notify]
Maxwell

Barked: Thu Jan 3, '13 5:18pm PST 
Sounds like a go then!

Are you going to follow Lew Olson's method of 75% meaty stuff and 25% low calorie veggies?
http://www.b-naturals.com/newsletter/low-glycemic/
[notify]
Kloppers

Barked: Thu Jan 3, '13 5:30pm PST 
Maxwell thanks for the website. That really looks like it would be the best, on a website recommended before I think dogaware.com recommended not counting the veggies weight but to add it after weighing the meat. Is this something you find to be accurate? I am trying to plan for a whole house switch, well the 4 dogs and 2 cats. I just want I make sure I have all the extras I need in place ( calcium, taurine( for cats) there is so much info on the Internet but of course it doesn't all say the same thing. I am going now to check out the post by Sedona to ensure I have a good understanding...I honestly think I can do it, but just the "what if" I worry about. I need to buy a scale, but my goal is to be switched completely by the end of Jan...I need to buy a small deep freezer still, not sure mine can hold 30lbs plus human food smile

Thanks Maxwell for your help!
[notify]
Kloppers

Barked: Fri Jan 4, '13 4:55am PST 
After a lot of reading last night I found a mix you add to raw or cooked to make it balanced. Would this me something okay to use? However I wouldn't use it if I feed meat with coarse ground bone, right? Also I would still have to feed organ, right?

My 3 little dogs and cats have iron stomachs, so I know it is not as beneficial as feeding prey model but could I feed them the meat raw and still have some benefits of the raw diet?

Here is the link to the supplement I was looking at

http://www.completenaturalnutrition.com/index.php?route=produc t/product&product_id=73

It is pretty cost effective, start is high but comes in around .49cents a day for dogs, and 19cents a day for cats.
[notify]
Kloppers

Barked: Fri Jan 4, '13 5:05am PST 
Double post, sorry

Edited by author Fri Jan 4, '13 5:06am PST

[notify]
Maxwell

Barked: Fri Jan 4, '13 9:37am PST 
I have a couple of whole food supplements in my bookmarks [Better in the Raw and Nupro] that can balance a meat diet but those wouldn't work, egg and liver of some sort is in them. This one only has the milk added, good! I would ask for a complete analysis and clarification on how much zinc is in there. I hate mixed units and all the zeros and such dealing with parts per million is a pain! It has manganese which meat is low in but I don't see magnesium. Ask about AAFCO or NRC or something. You don't want to be feeding something that is low in anything.

I haven't run the numbers but it might not work for Bella as it contains phosphorus. Just meat isn't enough phosphorus for Max and other healthy dogs but the addition of the supplement might add more than her actual NRC requirement. I would want to stick to her actual requirement if her kidneys are looking iffy. Since, as usual, the serving size is in scoops and the analysis is in percentages I would have to enter the stuff into nutritiondata, add however many grams to meat for Max's needs and compare to his requirements to get an idea. My brain is far too fuzzy this morning to do this one in my head!

I will do that, always looking for stuff that can make home cooking easier and since I figured out how to work ND I love playing with it.
[notify]
Kloppers

Barked: Fri Jan 4, '13 12:22pm PST 
I have tried to go to nutritiondata but I am not sure what and where I am entering anything. One question though, in the thoughts about the phosphorus wouldn't this be a concern in feeding any balanced diet as well ( meaning dry kibble) due to the fact they are not prepared for individual pets but based on the average dogs needs? On the 25th of Jan Bella goes in for her quarterly bloodwork to see if her BUN/CREAT levels had changed any. The last time her BUN remained the same but her CREAT took a spike, her numbers are not horrible but require monitoring. If I remember correctly her BUN was high 30's and CREAT was 2.8. She has a slight increase everytime she has bloodwork, so I suspect to enter the 40's and 3's this time. When we adopted her 2 years ago her levels were normal, but her vet recommends maintaining protein levels around 36% for now.

I entered Bella's info into the speadsheat sedona provided in previous post and it says her daily caloric intake is 2050 but I know from feeding kibble(could be different with this) anything over 1600 she gains weight.

Also I emailed my vet to look over the info I have provided and we will discuss when Bella has her exam and bloodwork. I wanted them to have a chance to look at the products and do their own research, they also confer with Bella's cardiologist. One of the vets is very informed about homecooking, so hopefully she will have some incite too.

Edited by author Fri Jan 4, '13 12:37pm PST

[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2