GO!

9 year Wheaten with kidney problems

This is the place to share your best homemade dog food and treat recipes with each other! Remember to use caution if your pet has allergies and to make any diet changes gradually so that your dog's stomach can adjust to the new foods you are introducing.

Barked: Sat Dec 15, '12 9:26pm PST 
I have three wheatens one of the 9 year old has developed Kidney problems. They have put her on KD/Kidney dry and moist mixed. Does anyone have good recipes for treats and meals. I will do whatever II have to make sure she continues her happy life with her 2 sisters.
[notify]
Maxwell

I'm triple- superior MAD- now!

Barked: Sat Dec 15, '12 11:39pm PST 
I made Sassy's treats until she stopped tolerating egg white of all things. I made cookies from egg white, glutinous rice I ground in a coffee grinder and a wet flavoring. Both the egg white and rice are very low in phosphorus and I chose pumpkin and banana as low phosphorus flavors but also used liver and oyster which are high phosphorus but fit into her diet. Corn starch or degermed meal and tapioca are also low in phosphorus but I never used them.

Here is the method. Substitute any wet flavor you like for the banana. The rice absorbs the moisture and they actually have quite a nice texture. I used them moist but they could be cut and baked again for a crunchy cookie I suppose.
http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/recipe/772132/2

Aft er she stopped eating my cookies she enjoyed Trader Joe Ginger Cat cookies which are leavened with baking soda, not baking powder and are low phosphorus. She had quite the smirk on her face when she got human food and Max didn't!

Please join K9KidneyDiet, a yahoo group, for information on taking care of kidney dogs. They are awesome.

I figured out how I wanted to feed Sassy from information here.
http://www.dogaware.com/health/kidney.html
And read and reread information in 'Optimal Nutrition' by Monica Segal for ideas on how to feed kidney dogs.

Sassy ate a glop made of overcooked glutinous rice and stewed chicken with the appropriate supplements to add the amount of minerals I wanted her to have and beef up the vitamins in the overcooked food. I did add a bit of different meats and starches to vary it but she liked chicken and rice just fine. I couldn't tell you what I decided to feed Sassy as your goals may not be the same as mine.
[notify]
Hudson

he's one in a- million!!!!

Barked: Sat Jan 19, '13 3:32pm PST 
Hudson was diagnosed w kidney failure & we were connected w a nutritionalist
She made a tailored meal plan for Hudson who also has numerous allergies &
Epilepsy. Hudson's meals consist of...
White meat chicken
Egg whites
White potatoes w skin
Unsalted butter
Old cheddar cheese
Local honey
& supplements
[notify]

Maxwell

I'm triple- superior MAD- now!

Barked: Mon Jan 21, '13 7:25am PST 
The reason Hudson's diet works is because it is balanced carefully for him. Most of his foods are low phosphorus, some are high fat and the cheddar cheese is extremely high fat and even higher phosphorus. 100 grams, about 3.5 ounces, would provide only 400 calories and 500mg of phosphorus. Sassy needed 1000 calories a day and 450mg of phosphorus. It is used because it is so very tasty!

This cheese would be great with just a smidgen cooked with something low phosphorus as a treat as in my sample recipe. Use less cheese if you like too. I put in corn meal this time but use the same amount of ground up glutinous rice if you like. 2 ounces of corn meal is a scant 1/4 dry measure but since it is the low phosphorus ingredient don't worry about using a level measure!
http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/recipe/2758831/2
[notify]