GO!

Can you make a meal with gizzards and hearts?

This is the place to share your best homemade dog food and treat recipes with each other! Remember to use caution if your pet has allergies and to make any diet changes gradually so that your dog's stomach can adjust to the new foods you are introducing.

Rocket

Miss Boss

Barked: Thu Oct 18, '12 2:11pm PST 
I've got a package of gizzards and chicken hearts and I wanted to cook it up for my dogs. I'm wondering if it would be okay to make dinner for the dogs using the gizzards and hearts as the meat source? If so does anyone have a recipe I could use or some suggestions for how to cook it and what else to add to it for a palatable and at least somewhat balanced meal.

Thanks
[notify]
Chance

How You Doin'?

Barked: Thu Oct 18, '12 3:08pm PST 
My advice would be to go to Nutrition Data website, set up an account, input your dog's numbers and play around with a recipe.

Maxwell/Sassy knows a lot about home cooking and will hopefully chime in.
[notify]
Maxwell

I'm triple- superior MAD- now!

Barked: Thu Oct 18, '12 7:29pm PST 
Chicken gizzards and hearts are great! Chicken muscle meat is lower in minerals like iron and zinc than red meats like beef, pork and lamb and the gizzards and hearts are higher.

If this is a one time deal why not very gently simmer them in some water until cooked through and use a stick blender or food processor to chop them up for you? Then just mix a spoonful of that 'gravy' with the usual food. If your dogs tend to get soft poop when they get new food be sure to subtract a little kibble when you mix in the giblets. If it is enough that you want to save for later you could put it into an ice cube tray and freeze for later use.

If your dogs have iron guts so you never need to transition slowly you could add 25% grain/25% veggies or just 50% veggies to the meat when you cook it. Be sure the grain and veggies get very well cooked. If you want to make this a pretty nicely balanced diet then add in 1/2 tsp of powdered eggshell for calcium per pound of meat. If you were going to continue to feed this then add in a bit of liver and I don't know what else to completely balance it.

My guy doesn't digest cooked cartilage! Sassy could, he cannot. I would need to chop up the meats quite small and hope that would work.
[notify]

Savannah- Blue Belle

A Heart of Gold!

Barked: Fri Oct 19, '12 8:58am PST 
If I let her little Dubs would eat them exclusively. She loves them.

And has suffered no ill effects.
[notify]