GO!

Supplement for cooked diet?

This is the place to share your best homemade dog food and treat recipes with each other! Remember to use caution if your pet has allergies and to make any diet changes gradually so that your dog's stomach can adjust to the new foods you are introducing.

Bianca CGC- TT HIC Thd- ♥

What big ears- you have...

Barked: Wed Oct 10, '12 5:43pm PST 
Does anyone know of any supplements that are made to add to a home cooked diet, that add in the vitamins/minerals/calcium that a dog needs with this type of diet when they're getting mostly meat?

I am probably going to start doing some homemade food for Bianca since the holistic vet said to stay away from any foods with carbs and since we can't do any raw per the oncologists' orders since she is on chemo, that really limits things as far as commercial diets go... I've also been giving her some all-meat canned foods lately and I am thinking maybe we should already be supplementing if that is making up a lot of her diet...
[notify]
Maxwell

I'm triple- superior MAD- now!

Barked: Wed Oct 10, '12 10:28pm PST 
Meat plus some liver provides most of what a dog needs, add bone and there is the rest. Max's raw diet provides all but some vitamin E and manganese. He gets some zinc, omega 3s and magnesium as well because he doesn't get but 1.5% of his body weight. If I needed to cook Max's food I would simply substitute some pureed veggies and bone meal for the bone and continue to feed the same egg, meat and organ diet he is on now.
http://www.b-naturals.com/newsletter/low-glycemic/

There are some commercial products designed to balance home cooked diets. Balance It has one for meat only diets, I suspect that is what you are looking for. You can enter your pet's information and diet preference and get a recipe complete with nutrition analysis then you get to buy the stuff to balance it. Basically it is a vitamin/mineral mix much like the stuff that goes in kibble. Your vet would definitely approve this stuff, the original company was founded by some vets from Davis U. in California. I am surprised your vet hasn't suggested it.
https://secure.balanceit.com/
[notify]

Barked: Thu Oct 18, '12 2:03am PST 
Homemade dog food is best for your dog because homemade pet food is healthy for your pets.
[notify]