GO!

Questions about Icing/Frosting?

This is the place to share your best homemade dog food and treat recipes with each other! Remember to use caution if your pet has allergies and to make any diet changes gradually so that your dog's stomach can adjust to the new foods you are introducing.

Dr. Watson

Not a wiener- dawg!

Barked: Sun Sep 30, '12 1:41pm PST 
I would like to decorate my homemade dog biscuits with little dollops of icing. I use all human grade ingredients in the biscuits. I was thinking of a cream cheese mixture, with perhaps a little yogurt. I just bought one of those plastic icing tubes with the different end attachments that make leaves, stars, lines, etc. at a garage sale. One of my questions is the consistency I should aim for. Any other tasty combinations I should aim for would be great! smile

In addition I was thinking about coloring: carrots for orange, blueberries for blue, and beets for pink/red. What could I use for green and yellow? Of course I can mix from the primary colours once I have yellow, lol thinking

Thanks in advance!
[notify]
Squ'mey

too old to eat- any more KD

Barked: Sun Sep 30, '12 5:22pm PST 
That's what I use..yogurt or cream cheese..no fat. The dye ideas sound great. For green you could use any mashed veggie & thicken/thin it down with the yogurt. smilesmile
[notify]
Dr. Watson

Not a wiener- dawg!

Barked: Mon Oct 1, '12 6:01am PST 
Thanks, Squ'mey! Great ideas for green, and thanks for seconding the cream cheese/yogurt mixture.

Still stuck for what to use for yellow, though! thinking
[notify]

Maxwell

I'm triple- superior MAD- now!

Barked: Mon Oct 1, '12 7:23am PST 
For yellow, butternut squash?
[notify]
Toto, CD, RN, CGC

We don't do- doodles!!!

Barked: Mon Oct 1, '12 8:45am PST 
Egg yolk???
[notify]
Dr. Watson

Not a wiener- dawg!

Barked: Tue Oct 2, '12 6:34am PST 
Good ideas everybody.smile And I am thinking cranberries and various juices are things to try out too, since you can get just a little bottle of carrot or whatever juice. If I need it brighter I will have to use pulp or reduce/concentrate the juice.thinking
[notify]
Steele

The Guardian

Barked: Tue Oct 2, '12 12:20pm PST 
You can use turmeric for yellow or orange/yellow. Nice vibrant color.

I've used blackberries before. I took some berries, heated them in a pot and smashed the juice out really well (with a fork or spoon). I let it heat until most of the water was evaporated from it and I was left with a thicker syrup-y kind of liquid. Very dark and concentrated. I used it in some white chocolate to ice dog cookies and it worked out nicely. It made the white chocolate this lovely purple shade with just a small hint of a pinkish tone (and you'd just adjust the amount if you want it darker or lighter). ^_^
[notify]
Dr. Watson

Not a wiener- dawg!

Barked: Tue Oct 2, '12 1:08pm PST 
Oh turmeric sounds like just the thing. I will check if it is okay for dogs! smile
[notify]
Yoshi

XD

Barked: Tue Oct 9, '12 9:06am PST 
White chocolate is OK for dogs? Really? I didn't know that. smile
[notify]
Squ'mey

too old to eat- any more KD

Barked: Tue Oct 9, '12 10:35am PST 
Yoshi..white chocolate is almost a misnomer. There is little to no theobromine in it, which is the element that is toxic. White chocolate is almost pure cocoa butter, while dark chocolate is made from the cocoa bean. Of course, large quantities can still make your dog sick.
[notify]