GO!

Is there any good, tasty but cheap food I can make at home for two senior dogs?

This is the place to share your best homemade dog food and treat recipes with each other! Remember to use caution if your pet has allergies and to make any diet changes gradually so that your dog's stomach can adjust to the new foods you are introducing.

Rocket

Miss Boss

Barked: Fri Sep 21, '12 10:02pm PST 
My 12-year old has been having some pretty serious health problems lately and is on several medications which seems to affect her appetite. Normally she eats anything. Whether or not it's edible isn't that important as long as it smells good. She'd even get excited about broccoli. Now, however, she won't even eat ground beef and rice. We've been through several different foods the past few weeks. It started with a more palatable kibble - from Natural Balance to Science Diet which she normally loves. That worked for a few days. After that I moved to canned food - Solid Gold with tripe which she would normally kill for. But that only worked for a couple of days. I ended up having to sit on the floor and spoon feed her to get her to eat (oddly enough she'd eat this way but not directly from the bowl). We tried some other canned foods without much luck. A few days ago I decided to try boiled ground beef and rice and that was a big hit. She inhaled it and so did my other dog who was born a picky eater.
By today, however, she has grown bored with this too and only ate half of her dinner. It's not that she wasn't hungry because she gladly ate chicken from the table later and finally, to get something in her, I tried giving her some canned cat food and that went down just fine.

I think what I'm going to have to do is to rotate foods, maybe find a few different recipes. I think I'll be most successful with homemade food but unfortunately I can't afford to keep getting them ground beef all the time so I need an affordable version that is healthy and tastes good. Maybe mix different sources of protein, like some ground beef and some liver or even gizzards or something else nasty that dogs love.

I could really use some good, affordable recipes.
My dogs are 10 and 12 and the 12-year old has congestive heart failure so if someone has a recipe that is good for that that would be great.

I'd greatly appreciate any ideas.

Thanks.
[notify]