GO!

Can I home cook for my dog without...

This is the place to share your best homemade dog food and treat recipes with each other! Remember to use caution if your pet has allergies and to make any diet changes gradually so that your dog's stomach can adjust to the new foods you are introducing.

Hemingway

Barked: Sat Sep 15, '12 8:53pm PST 
using bones and organs? I would like to cook Hemingway's meals because he is really sensitive and I have lost all faith in the dog food industry! Problem is, I'm not much of a meat eater myself and there is no way I could handle those things! Is it ok to make his meals without those animal parts??? Thanks!
[notify]
Maxwell

I'm triple- superior MAD- now!

Barked: Sat Sep 15, '12 10:46pm PST 
Well if you cook the food then you cannot feed the bones so you might as well make food with boneless meat! Turkey and beef are the most common ground meats but most any meat can be found ground or a butcher can grind a cut for you.

It is easier to get the nutrition in if you can put in some liver but baby steps. Try cooking 2 pounds of ground meat with half a pound of pureed low calorie veggies and 1 tsp of powdered eggshell for calcium [drop the egg in as well] today and maybe in a couple weeks try liver.

Figure 2% of your dog's ideal weight as a daily ration [a 50 pound dog gets 1 pound of meaty stuff per day] and feed more or less depending on how your dog does NOT whether or not they act hungry!

This is only a starting point, keep reading up on feeding fresh food and improve the recipe as you go. Monica Segal, Lew Olson and Steve Brown have excellent books out on feeding fresh to dogs. See this page and especially check out the book reviews. http://www.dogaware.com/diet/homemade.html
[notify]