GO!

Arthritis Stew Recipe

This is the place to share your best homemade dog food and treat recipes with each other! Remember to use caution if your pet has allergies and to make any diet changes gradually so that your dog's stomach can adjust to the new foods you are introducing.

Anchortown- Dogs

Barked: Mon Aug 6, '12 8:52pm PST 
My dog who suffers from arthritis and join pain is currently eating Acana kibble. However,I have been reading that a fresh food diet will hep her. I found this online and all of the ingrediets are supposed to help with inflammation. Thoughts? How can I balance this so that she can eat it full time? She loved it.

Thank you in advance.

Dog Stew
1 lb ground turkey, lamb or beef heart
1 cups of celery
2 cups of carrots
2 cups of spinach/kale or greens
3 cloves of garlic
1 1/2 cups of pearl barley
1/2 cup lentils
1/2 cup brown rice
1 cup of fresh parsley
1 cup of fresh/dried nettles
1/2 cup dried rosehips

Most of these ingredients are naturally alkaline and anti-inflammatory. I add the rosehips for Vitamin C and the Nettles for the minerals, nutrients and they are excellent for joint pain. Combine ingredients in a large pot, bring to a boil then simmer 1 1/2 hours. Keep pot covered and stir every 15-30 minutes. Add water if needed but it should be quite thick when done.
This makes a lot of stew so I let this cool then freeze half at a time.
I mix and match with the ingredients with what I have in the house or garden but try to stay consistent with what I find is the "base" of the recipe, which is the barley, brown rice, good quality meats, minimum of 2 cups of fresh greens, garlic and the parsley.
Other than that I sometimes put in squash in place of carrots and I've used quinoa in place of the lentils.
[notify]
Maxwell

I'm triple- superior MAD- now!

Barked: Mon Aug 6, '12 10:16pm PST 
Well that was fun. Since I don't cook any more and haven't any new meats for Max I haven't made up a recipe in ND lately. I put most of it into nutritiondata.com [couldn't find nettles] and except for the lack of calcium it is pretty decent. When I put this into Max's Tracking in ND I found it has oodles of vitamin C and K, potassium and iron. It is low in calcium, zinc, vitamin E and selenium. The omega 3:6 ratio is lousy at 1:10.

http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/recipe/2625516/2

Add calcium especially if this is most of the diet, 1/2 tsp of powdered eggshell per pound of meat used. I don't know if the very high doses of C and K are a problem but the ratio of iron to zinc is better at 1:2 and this recipe is more than 2:1. Isn't a good amount of omega 3 good for arthritis?

As a general rule look for the mention of calcium in a dog food recipe. I would be wary of any information presented in terms of dog health if that recipe didn't mention calcium. My 38 pound dog requires as much calcium as an adult human!

You might consider incorporating some ideas from this article into your feeding plan.
http://www.dogaware.com/health/arthritissupps.html
And here are some more ideas.
http://www.b-naturals.com/newsletter/joint-problems/

I don't know that Max actually has arthritis or not but his strength improved after the age of 8 on a high protein raw diet of meat, bone and organs. The plentiful cartilage is a natural source of glucosamine but he moves better when I give him a joint supplement as well. I would prefer to feed him more protein than is in that recipe and would definitely use some fish or fish oil daily. Raw is easier than cooking if you and your dog are comfortable with it and it is much easier to balance the diet.

To balance a cooked diet see Sedona's thread 'Balancing the diet in 21 easy steps' which is probably on the first page of this forum. Tongue firmly in cheek there! It is a bit of a wrestling match to learn how to deal with nutritiondata but fun once you figure it out and I suspect altering the amounts of some of the ingredients and adding that calcium will do it for this recipe.

Fresh foods are better for my current dog and kept my old girl going for 3.5 years after a chronic disease diagnosis, hope it is for your dog as well.
[notify]
Anchortown- Dogs

Barked: Mon Aug 6, '12 10:38pm PST 
Thank you so much for doing that. Wow! So detailed. I will check out raw and the links that you provided.

Thank you!!!
[notify]

Sedona

It\'s Tough- Being A Spoiled- Puppy!

Barked: Tue Aug 7, '12 12:08pm PST 
Hi wave

I have fed my little Shih Tzu a homecooked diet for going on 8 years now, and I am so happy I have done that for her. cloud 9 Due to her yeast/allergy issues, we feed a LOW glycemic diet, so I do not add any grains or starchy veggies (no rice, barley, carrots, lentils, etc), so I can't help you with the ingredients you have listed in your "stew", but I can add that:

1/2 teaspoon of eggshell powder per POUND of "recipe" (as mentioned by Maxwell) is what we also use to balance her diet. That 1/2 tsp eggshell (calcium carbonate) is approx = 900 mg calcium.

So, if you go to using a packaged calcium (either calcium carbonate, or calcium citrate, for example), be sure to use the "900 mg ca per POUND of recipe) as your measure. Each calcium type differs in the mg per 1/2 tsp. I often ALT between both types of calcium every month or so. When I'm not using "ground eggshells", I use NOW brand "Calcium citrate" powder. way to go But again, the amounts you use for each type will differ, so pay attention to the "mg" of calcium measure on the label. I usually end up using more Calcium Citrate to get to the same mg amounts of the eggshell powder, for instance.

Lew Olson's Diet for Arthritic Dogs Info:
http://www.b-naturals.com/newsletter/joint-problems-arthritis /

Her main newsletter index can be found here:
http://b-naturals.com/newsletters

I have used Lew's "Low Glycemic" homecooked recipes for my Shih Tzu the entire time. I can't say enough about how well my dog has done on it. I DO rotate the meats and veggies each recipe, so this type of diet is more about "balance over time" vs "balancing EACH meal for ALL nutrients". way to go I prefer Lew's method, but I know a few people prefer the "balance at each meal" type. I think both can work IF you adhere to the directions (variety, supplements, etc). The one thing I DO balance "per recipe" is the calcium. way to go

Btw, according to Lew's info in the above mentioned article, ALL starchy carbs can be "inflammatory". I have also read this in regard to people's diets as well. You may want to consider researching this a bit further, and maybe take out the grains and starchy veggies. I don't know... I have also heard that "nightshade" veggies can also aggravate arthritis, so maybe also research that as well.

Zinc:
Plant based foods bind calcium, as well as zinc. You may want to consider either adding in zinc rich foods, or add in a zinc supplement. I give my Tzu a zinc supplement, due to all the "green" veggies she gets in her diet, plus it helped with allergy-skin and skin-yeast issues she was having. I believe the dose is "1.5 mg zinc gluconate per kg of dog's bodywt", but don't quote me on that. Google will have much info on it. My Tzu weighs approx 15 lbs, and she gets 10-15 mg of zinc gluconate every other day. I either use a zinc gluconate pill, added to her meals (do NOT give on an empty stomach!), or I use a "zinc fortified" omega 3 fish oil suppelement (Dr Foster & Smith's).

We also added in omega 6, in the form of borage oil or primrose oil caps (this form of omega 6 has ANTI inflammatory properties, whereas most omega 6 are pro-inflammatory). Lew's recipes do NOT include adding in omega 6 (don't need to IF you feed fattier/dark meat poultry), but I mistakenly used only white meat when feeding chicken, and we had some issues. Now, I feed a 50/50 mix of white to dark meat when feeding chicken, but I still add in borage or primrose a few times per week.

Lew lists ALL the supplements you will need (incl calcium amounts) needed.
way to go I used her Bertes supplements when I first began homecooking for Sedona, but I usually now just use "people" type brands so we can "share" probiotics, vitamins, etc. I have also used supplements from Azmira Holistic Animal (LOVE this brand! LOVE!). way to go

I hope that helps! Good luck! I think you are doing a GREAT thing for your furbaby! cheer

(btw, so as to not confuse.... I am NOT the "Sedona" that Maxwell mentioned in his post above. wink )
[notify]
Taggert

Semper Vorax

Barked: Wed Aug 8, '12 11:33am PST 
I do like to make sure my dogs get plenty of cartilage, tendons, and so on. stuff like Esophagus and trachea, snouts, ears, raw chicken feet, hocks, the cartilage and gristle end of ribs, hog's head cheese and pizzles. Cartilage is not so appetizing for us, but it's all loaded with glucosamine and the dogs adore chewing it, cooked or raw. It's not bone so it digests in their tummies. maybe you could add some to that recipe up there.
[notify]