GO!

adding rice to home cooked recipes?

This is the place to share your best homemade dog food and treat recipes with each other! Remember to use caution if your pet has allergies and to make any diet changes gradually so that your dog's stomach can adjust to the new foods you are introducing.

Barked: Fri Jul 27, '12 7:26am PST 
As I search the web for new ideas and recipes for home cooked meals for Spiffy, I notice a good percentage of the recipes use rice. Additionally, the rice makes up a rather high percentage of the total ingredients. Why add the rice at all? Isn't this just just a starch filler that adds weight?

Am I wrong in ruling these recipes out?

Usually what I do is include approx. 50% protein, another 10% organ, 30% various veggies, and then rotate other things such as eggs, cottage cheese, some mashed sweet potato, to make the 100% Calcium sprinkled in.

Thanks Elizabeth
[notify]
Maxwell

I'm triple- superior MAD- now!

Barked: Fri Jul 27, '12 7:44am PST 
Rice adds calories. Sassy needed a lot of rice as a low phosphorus low fat calorie source. Other people need to use it for cheap calories as it costs a lot less than meat and veggies.

The only recipes I would completely disregard would be ones that don't mention calcium. Recipes with less than 50% meat, remove most of the fat and are heavy in chicken aren't as good either but no calcium is quite dangerous.
[notify]

Barked: Fri Jul 27, '12 8:02am PST 
So, as long as Spiffy's weight is Ok and I don't want to add pounds, then there seems to be no reason to add the rices or other starches. Thanks
[notify]

Lucille

I am the Sock- Bandit!!!

Barked: Fri Jul 27, '12 8:24am PST 
Rice isn't a requirement, it adds calories and bulk for an overall lower cost. Sweet potatoes do as well, and they're good for dogs as they contain several vitamins. I also use quinoa occasionally, it actually has quite a bit of protein, more so than rice. My dog loves it.

I do use several recipes that are just meat protein, organ, and egg either with the dried crushed shell for calcium or I supplement with bonemeal, those use no carbs at all. Keep in mind that rice and other carbs can help with the stool consistency, but plain unseasoned canned pumpkin does that, too.
[notify]
Vance CGC

You kids g'off- my lawn!

Barked: Mon Jul 30, '12 10:43am PST 
The "30% various veggies" should be all the fiber you need... Vance was on a very similar diet (more fiber, less extras) for his liver problems, and I had several vets attribute his resilience to his diet.

While they are probably nutritionally sound recipes, there is no nutritional reason to add rice. To me, this issue goes back to why we, as individuals, stopped feeding kibble. I stopped because aside from quality control and digestibility, I didn't want my dog eating so much filler, and, in the case of Vance, if he did have to eat a lot of fiberous filler I wanted something a dog could utilize better than rice and did not have the potential side effects of a grain-heavy diet.

Since the cost of food in general has gone up so much, I have continued adding about 25% filler to the girls' diets (they eat raw) but I still haven't found a need to turn to rice even for financial reasons. Usually I use some sort of bean - especially lentils are very cheap - and whatever frozen veggies are on sale that week.

No, wild dogs are not running around eating lentils, kidney beans and chick peas, but they are better than rice.

On the other hand, if you stopped feeding kibble only over quality control and have no issue whatsoever with grain, then do it up with the rice! FWIW, I know dogs on grain-heavy homemade diets who do exhibit many of the issues of grain-heavy kibbles such as fatty lumps, weight control problems, joint stiffness, yeast infections/hot spots. Not to mention their poop looks like little logs of washed out rice or barley, which to me says they aren't processing it properly at all.

Edited by author Mon Jul 30, '12 10:47am PST

[notify]