GO!

Homemeade treat recipes with inexpensive ingredients?

This is the place to share your best homemade dog food and treat recipes with each other! Remember to use caution if your pet has allergies and to make any diet changes gradually so that your dog's stomach can adjust to the new foods you are introducing.

Carter

Professional- Fetcher

Barked: Sun Jun 24, '12 9:38pm PST 
Hey guys. I've been wanting to make treats for Carter for ages, but most of the recipes I'm finding call for way too many ingredients. I'm on a pretty tight budget but I do feed him premium food, so I would like to be able to make healthy treats for him as well. Does anyone know of any recipes for treats that have around 6 ingredients or less? They don't have to be grain-free, no doggy grain allergies in this household, but he does have a chicken allergy so nothing with chicken in it. Thanks in advance for sharing any recipes smile
[notify]
Maxwell

I'm triple- superior MAD- now!

Barked: Mon Jun 25, '12 8:51am PST 
What stuff do you have laying around?

I always have tuna, flour, egg, peanut butter, cheese, rice, oil, fresh garlic and an assortment of veggies. If I buy a whole chicken there is a tasty liver inside most of the time or buy a tub at the store although that makes a lot of treats.

Since dogs will eat just about anything go for it. As long as you don't burn it, it doesn't have onions, macadamia nuts, chocolate, grapes, nutmeg or anything else dangerous for dogs and you are mindful of how many treats are fed it is fine. I prefer not to salt or sugar treats, dogs are fine with treats that seem bland to us.

My bread. A can of tuna or 6 ounces or so of liver [a whole pound is a major project!], whirl in blender with an egg and bit of garlic to help with the smell. Dump into a bowl and mix in flour until it isn't taking in more flour. Plan on about 2 cups of flour for that. Turn the mess onto a floured board, scrape everything on it and knead the dough until just like bread dough, smooth a bit bouncy when you press on it and not sticky. Stretch, roll whatever like a pizza on a cookie sheet. I score it into bread sticks and bake at 350*F for 15-20 minutes until it is cooked through. I use it as is for training treats but you can cut it into smaller bits and bake again until crisp. If you want to go the whole 9 yards roll the dough out and cut with a tiny canape cutter and the treats will puff up like oyster crackers when baked. Or of course just cut and separate a bit and they should puff up.

Use the same ingredients and just don't add so much flour, scrape into a pan and bake if you like as well. Just messier to clean up, bread cleans the bowl nicely. I cannot make peanut butter treats as I am so allergic the fumes from baking would bother me but substitute 1/2 cup of PB for the tuna or liver if you like.

For the veggy/liver treats I weighed out and cooked an assortment of low calorie veggies like broccoli, cabbage, zucchini, carrots with an equal weight of liver. Drained it, pureed it with an egg and baked on parchment paper until cooked through. I actually tried this with raw and cooked liver and with and without egg as a binder. All worked just fine so you can see how flexible making doggy treats can be. And don't toss the cooking liquid. Freeze in an ice cube tray for treats or save to add to kibble meals.

I whirled 1/3 cup rice in a coffee mill until it was like corn meal, added an egg and 2 ounces of flavoring, mashed banana, canned oysters and liver were the ones I used but peanut butter, sardines, tuna would taste just fine as well. Bake this one on parchment paper for sure.

For quick training treats I cut a slice of bread in half, put a slice of cheese inside, roll it flat and microwave until the cheese melts. When cooled the bread makes it easy to pinch off bits and keeps the cheese from greasing up your hands.

I rarely did but do try making frosty treats. Mix plain yogurt with whatever you have on hand and freeze in paper cups or an ice cube tray or maybe shallow bowls or ? You can cut the yogurt with lots of water if you don't want your dog to have that much yogurt.
[notify]
Nare

Woo-woo- whineybutt

Barked: Mon Jun 25, '12 12:30pm PST 
Oooo. I'll have to try the bread and cheese trick, thanks Maxwell!

Over here, we smash up a banana, mix it with lots of peanutbutter, throw in 2 or so eggs, a pinch of salt and a few cups of flour.
we roll the dough out and cut it into squares about as big as your pinkie nail.. Throw them in for 15 minutes, voila! Treats that cost all of $3 or $4 and theres billions of them.
[notify]

Zongo

Barked: Tue Jun 26, '12 8:40am PST 
dog The lady I work with and I make our dogs treats out of just natural, no sugar added peanut butter (I use Krema, its pretty cheap) mixed with oats and water, thats it! Just mash everything together till it holds nicely, and cut them out with a knife or cookie cutter. Then we just keep them in the fridge or freezer and take them along on walks and such. Our dogs go crazy for them!
[notify]
Mozart

I am Fearless

Barked: Tue Jun 26, '12 2:28pm PST 
Mozart and Bella love these treats and they are so easy and cheap to makeway to go
I got the recipe from http://www.amazon.com/The-Organic-Dog-Biscuit-Cookbook/dp/1933662956 /ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1340746067&sr=8-1&keywords=organic+dog+cookb ook

Philly-style

1 1/2 cups of tapioca flour

1 8 oz package low fat cream cheese

2 6oz cans of wild salmon

Preheat oven to 350 Empty entire cans of salmon juices included into a food processor and puree.
Combine all ingredients together and mix thoroughly. Line a 9" square pan with aluminum foil pour mixture into pan.

Bake 30-40 minutes. Remove from the oven and let cool completely on a wire rack. Slice with a pizza cutter or knife into individual sized portions store in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
And let the dogs enjoy you pup will love these treats if your dog does not like fish you could use chicken or beef etc.
[notify]
Maxwell

I'm triple- superior MAD- now!

Barked: Tue Jun 26, '12 4:01pm PST 
I had no idea raw oatmeal and peanut butter would work, very cool.

Can you use other flours besides tapioca? I can find it but it is a bit exotic and expensive.
[notify]
Mozart

I am Fearless

Barked: Tue Jun 26, '12 5:18pm PST 
"Can you use other flours besides tapioca? I can find it but it is a bit exotic and expensive".

Yes it is an organic cookbook so they ask for some bizarre different flours, I like to use ground up Oatmeal instead, put it in a food processor and pluse it wait for it to turn into a powder.
[notify]