GO!

Beginners first meal? But is it right?

This is the place to share your best homemade dog food and treat recipes with each other! Remember to use caution if your pet has allergies and to make any diet changes gradually so that your dog's stomach can adjust to the new foods you are introducing.

alfie

were's the ball,- were's the- ball........

Barked: Wed Jun 6, '12 4:43am PST 
Hi so i've decided to provide my babies with 1 cooked meal a day, then give kibble the other meal. I have never done this before and the food ratios baffles me thinking

So i have come up with this so far: My only concern is the meat ratio....could i do with adding a few more cups? Also this will be feeding both my pom pup and my 61 lbs collie for a week, will it be enough?

6 brown rice
6 cups of veggies (carrots, peas, cabbage)
9 cups of meat (chicken, lean minced beef, lamb or pork which ever is cheapest)
1 cup of liver (which is the best liver to feed?)
4 eggs
4 teaspoons of powered egg shell
I'll throw in some tinned fish (samon, sardines or makerel)

Have i missed anything??

I plan on boiling the meats and keeping the juices to pour over kibble.
[notify]
alfie

were's the ball,- were's the- ball........

Barked: Wed Jun 6, '12 4:47am PST 
I ment a teaspoon of powered egg shell altho i have just read that half a teaspoon for each pound of food is about right?!
[notify]
Maxwell

I'm triple- superior MAD- now!

Barked: Thu Jun 7, '12 1:45pm PST 
I made the recipe a little bit more for dogs in your other thread.

My method of cooking was still quite the production but fewer pots and pans.

Put the meats, cut up veggies and rice into a large pan with some water and bring just to a boil. Some moisture will come out of the meat so adding the amount needed to cook the rice is plenty - 2 cups of water for 1 cup of rice. If you want it to smell especially good put the meat into the dry pan and heat until it starts to sizzle. It doesn't need to brown or anything, this adds lots of nice flavor though. Simmer the stew until the meat starts to fall off the bone and the rice grains are very soft.

Off the heat and fish out all the chicken to cool so you can bone it. Put the chicken back into the stew and either go through with your fingers to mush up lumps or use a stick blender to make a uniform mush.

Add the egg shell and canned fish if it is on the menu that week and done. Pack in daily sized containers and only keep enough for 2-3 days in the refrigerator.

If I were your dogs I would boycott the kibble meal and hold out for the homemade mush. You may well have more luck feeding a little kibble mixed with mush for both meals.
[notify]