GO!

Chicken as Primary Protein

This is the place to share your best homemade dog food and treat recipes with each other! Remember to use caution if your pet has allergies and to make any diet changes gradually so that your dog's stomach can adjust to the new foods you are introducing.

Dingo

Leader of the- Dog Gestapo

Barked: Sun May 27, '12 10:11pm PST 
Ok, here's the long and short of it; there is no cheap red meat available to me where I live now, so chicken is the way to feed my dogs homemade right now. I know that chicken is a less desirable protein because of a lack of some nutrients so my question would be: what should I be tossing into the mix to make up for it? I have easy access to veggies, eggs and I plan on feeding the chicken raw so it will be bone-in.

Most grains are out of the picture - Dingo gets horrible hotspots triggered by them.

Any help is appreciated. Drat Diamond for buying TotW!
[notify]
Jackson Tan

Lad about town

Barked: Sun May 27, '12 10:46pm PST 
Well, I would make sure all the organs come from beef in that case. Beef heart is a good organ 'meat.' You could also add green tripe in a can, tinned sardine, and if possible, pork roast. Pork is usually cheaper than beef and very nutritious.
[notify]
Maxwell

I'm triple- superior MAD- now!

Barked: Mon May 28, '12 4:13pm PST 
Can you get chicken gizzards and hearts at a good enough price? They are much richer than chicken muscle meat in iron and zinc.

When shopping remember that bones are waste. Whole chicken is about 30% bone so there is only about 11 ounces of meat and skin per pound of whole bird. That would mean a $1 a pound chicken deal really costs $1.45 a pound if my math is right. [$1/11 actual ounces per poundx16 ounces=$1.45]. Haven't bought any lately but ground beef in the clearance bin was $1.50 a pound for quite a while.

I do notice a difference if I dot the i's and cross the t's in Max's diet but most people are just fine without perfect ratios and mgs of this and that. Go for it. Get the calcium in, stay away from irritating grains and feed plenty of meat with a little liver and fatty fish and it will be fine.
[notify]

Dingo

Leader of the- Dog Gestapo

Barked: Tue May 29, '12 8:53pm PST 
I can get whole chickens for $0.65 lb with organs but ground beef and even bargain bin stuff weighs in at $2+. I grow veggies and eggs are cheap around here so I figure since I'm paying about $1.50 lb for kibble, I'm coming out on the winning end here smile

I'm going to try to sweet-talk my way into meat counter scraps but because that technically violates health codes, I'm not really counting on much...
[notify]