GO!

Cheapest way to get ground chicken?

This is the place to share your best homemade dog food and treat recipes with each other! Remember to use caution if your pet has allergies and to make any diet changes gradually so that your dog's stomach can adjust to the new foods you are introducing.

Rolo

Barked: Fri Apr 27, '12 12:17pm PST 
I am having a heckuva time finding cheap ground chicken. I actually use it for a topper rather than canned food.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance. big grin
[notify]
Hucky and- Ringo

Barked: Mon Apr 30, '12 12:32pm PST 
I don't use ground chicken but I do buy a 5 lb bag of boneless chicken breast, boil it then cut it up into shavings mixed with a bag of frozen sting beans or carrots and I use that as a topping. I don't know how much ground chicken costs but I pay $6.98 for the 5 lb bag of breasts.
[notify]
Maxwell

I'm triple- superior MAD- now!

Barked: Mon Apr 30, '12 2:03pm PST 
Or buy a whole chicken, add a couple cups of water and simmer for an hour or so until meat falls off the bone. Now for the hard part, wait for it to cool down so you can easily bone it. My stick blender can then blend the skin and meat into a nice mush. Use the broth too. Easy to remove the skin if you need your topper to be lean.

Look out for cheap hamburger, pork and turkey too. Whole chicken is about 30% bone and that is waste. Without doing the math would that mean actual cost is $1.30 a pound? Not sure. I usually can get 85% lean hamburger for $1.50 a pound and not have to do the boning.
[notify]

Zephyr

Barked: Wed May 2, '12 4:03pm PST 
Raise chickens and buy a grinder. wink
[notify]
Bruno CGC

Honorary Kelpie

Barked: Sat May 5, '12 4:51pm PST 
Zeph- LOL, no way. I do raise chickens, and if you count the cost of baby chicks, housing, feed, etc, there is no way I could it for 69 cents a lb (cheapest chicken I can get in the store.) Not unless I was raising thousands of them, to get economies of scale. Plus the time and mess of processing them, not for the faint-hearted.
[notify]