GO!

what are your favorite "bribe" or "training" treats?

This is the place to share your best homemade dog food and treat recipes with each other! Remember to use caution if your pet has allergies and to make any diet changes gradually so that your dog's stomach can adjust to the new foods you are introducing.

Tucker

I would very- much like the- ball.

Barked: Thu Apr 26, '12 1:01pm PST 
I am training my dog to come when he is called and some other things. He has only been with us a few months and his previous owners did not do any training with him. I do not want to feed him treats from the store because they are mostly unhealthy sugar bombs. I am also wary of chicken jerky treats because of all the recalls. SO im thinking i should make my own.

do you all have a fav. recipe for treats? my ideal treat would be smallish, tasty and easy on tummys. or do you have a certain food item that works? Cheese is one ive tried and he spits it out. lol not a huge fan of cheese.
[notify]
Gia

Gi Gi Gia

Barked: Thu Apr 26, '12 1:24pm PST 
I just boil chicken then rip it into 'strips' and store in a tupperware container in the fridge. Makes great treats, she loves them, and it's cheap with no additives. Very healthy. Gia also loves peanut butter (I put it on a spoon and allow a lick as a treat) Gia does trick, click, allow a lick, remove. Repeat. Cheese is also a good one but Gia isn't fond of it, and neither am I. You can also cut up hot dogs in small pieces (cook or not is up to you) Hope this helps! I'd love to hear what others use. I'd love to dehydrate some meats for treats but I don't own a dehydrator yet.
[notify]
Maxwell

I'm triple- superior MAD- now!

Barked: Thu Apr 26, '12 3:20pm PST 
When the dogs were on kibble I would make tuna or liver cookies, really bread. I pureed a can of tuna or raw liver with an egg and clove of garlic and mixed in flour until it made a stiff dough. I kneaded the dough like it was bread until it was smooth and not sticky, stretched it out until it was about 1/4" thick, ran a pizza cutter through it and baked until cooked but not dry at 350*F. I loved using this stuff as training treats, you can pinch off bits the size you need, no crumbs and not greasy or gooey. Any canned fish will work as will any liver. Amount of flour needed depends on the amount of wet stuff. The 5.5 ounce of tuna makes a nice amount of treats and a pound of liver makes way too many!

Currently Max has liver-veggy cookies in the freezer. I mixed pureed raw chicken liver with an equal quantity of pureed cooked veggies and an egg. Poured it on parchment paper as I suspect it would be very sticky and baked until firm. He seems to do better without flour so I tried this. I forgot to put the garlic in, makes even liver smell better. A bit crumblier than the liver bread but good for training.

I store home made goodies in the freezer, no point in risking forgetting about them and having them possibly go to waste.

Max really likes it if I save some meat from our dinner and gets shreds of it. We don't much like dried out pork chops, Max does. We often leave chicken breast untouched, Max will eat it. He goes gaga for baked potato peels and old flour tortillas too.
[notify]

Huck

GO!!!

Barked: Thu Apr 26, '12 7:00pm PST 
I use turkey meatballs. THey are already cooked, they just need to thaw out, the dogs LOVE them!
[notify]
Kodiak

The cheese ninja

Barked: Thu Apr 26, '12 7:36pm PST 
I've made these simple pumpkin and peanut butter ones a few times: http://allrecipes.com/recipe/peanut-butter-and-pumpkin-dog-treats/ I cut them with a pizza cutter and bake them until really really crunchy. They taste sort of like sawdust, but he LOVES them.
[notify]
Gia

Gi Gi Gia

Barked: Fri Apr 27, '12 5:56am PST 
How important is it to use whole wheat flour? I just have the regular stuff on hand, could it work? My only fear with making my own treats (with combining ingredients) is I don't know what to use and what not to use.
[notify]
Maxwell

I'm triple- superior MAD- now!

Barked: Fri Apr 27, '12 8:59am PST 
Avoid stuff that is actually poisonous. No onion, nutmeg, macadamia nuts, avocado skins or pits, chocolate, green parts of potatoes, only a little garlic and cannot think of anything else at the moment. Nuts can be contaminated with extremely nasty fungi so inspect carefully. Veggies, fruits, nuts and grains that aren't well cooked and pureed may come out the other end unchanged, just be aware.

Since they are treats it is fine if they don't contain a complete diet or have not so great ingredients in them. Just avoid stuff you know your dog does poorly on. No chicken for a dog who cannot eat chicken kibble for instance.
[notify]
Kodiak

The cheese ninja

Barked: Fri Apr 27, '12 12:57pm PST 
Gia. not important. You can substitute plain flour for whole wheat 1:1 by weight, or just mix the wet ingredients first and add enough flour to get a dough that's stiff enough to roll out.
[notify]
Gia

Gi Gi Gia

Barked: Fri Apr 27, '12 1:28pm PST 
Great Kodiak I'll give it a try, I have all those ingredients on hand!
[notify]
Mozart

I am Fearless

Barked: Fri Apr 27, '12 5:05pm PST 
I like to use chicken, hot dogs, string cheese for high distraction training, and I also like to make my own Organic dog treats I found a really good Organic dog treats cookbook! http://www.amazon.com/The-Organic-Dog-Biscuit-
Cookbook/dp/19336629 56/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1335570658&sr=8-2

it is great I have made about 5 different recipes and the dogs love themway to go

here is my dogs favorite recipe from the book and it is so easy to makehappy dance

Philly-style

1 1/2 cups of tapioca flour

1 8 oz package low fat cream cheese

2 6oz cans of wild salmon

Preheat oven to 350 Empty entire cans of salmon juices included into a food processor and puree.
Combine all ingredients together and mix thoroughly. Line a 9" square pan with aluminum foil pour mixture into pan.

Bake 30-40 minutes. Remove from the oven and let cool completely on a wire rack. Slice with a pizza cutter or knife into individual sized portions store in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
And let the dogs enjoy you pup will love these treats if your dog does not like fish you could use chicken or beef etc.
[notify]