GO!

beginning homecooked

This is the place to share your best homemade dog food and treat recipes with each other! Remember to use caution if your pet has allergies and to make any diet changes gradually so that your dog's stomach can adjust to the new foods you are introducing.

Barked: Sun Apr 8, '12 9:46am PST 
Our Mini Schnauzer currently eating Wellness kibble. Currently white fished based, as she is allergic to chicken.

She seems fine of the kibble, but I want to begin feeding homecooked and have been reading Dogaware, B-Naturals and Dr Pitcairn's book and, of course, the threads here.

Since the balancing/ratios of homecooking are overwhelming me,(and the reason why I haven't switched to homecooked sooner) I want to begin by making some basic homecooked meals and adding it to the kibble. 50/50%.

My best source for recipes seems to be Dr Susan Thixton's "Paws Naturally"

Does anyone have any good basic recipes for my beginning journey?

Also, I'm thinking of making some of her meals with Honest Kitchen or Addiction basic foods and adding the protein. Any thought on this method of transitioning. I've penciled it out and either brand wouldn't be much more $ that what I'm paying for the Wellness.

Thanks Liz
[notify]
Maxwell

I'm triple- superior MAD- now!

Barked: Sun Apr 8, '12 10:07pm PST 
That book is reviewed on dogaware and the review isn't completely positive. Mostly little things, the analysis of the recipe is different in the book to what Ms. Straus came up with and she doesn't think it is enough calories and not sure that fresh foods like sunflower seeds will work as well as supplements and was concerned about the calcium/phosphorus ratio/balance and excessive vitamin D because cod liver oil is used.
http://www.dogaware.com/diet/bookreviews.html

Guess what? It is fine. If the recipes in that book fit your particular needs, skills and biases your dog will be well nourished by them and if you want to tweak them further to solve any possible issues with them you can at your convenience. None of the kibbles out there are exactly the same with the exact same amount of protein, fat, vitamin K, calcium, phosphorus and all the rest and they are 'complete' foods. AAFCO levels of nutrients have a range, a wide range. Taking the huge leap to feeding fresh is completely worth the fear of the unknown, really. Get the book, cook up a recipe and *substitute* a little of the fresh stuff for a little of the kibble and watch your dog dive in. Work slowly to a complete feed of the new stuff and cook up another recipe and introduce the same way, repeating with every single recipe. Once several recipes are fine by your dog's gut try faster mixing, 25% to 75% to 50/50 to 75/25 then different recipes each day. I doubt all that is really necessary after your dog is used to each recipe but do watch the poop, it can be a big help.

There are three books highly recommended by Mary Straus, have you considered them? I have one of Monica Segal's books and learned a lot and the Steve Brown book looks terrific as well [going to go read as much as I can after submitting this post in fact]. Cannot see any of the Dr. Becker book unfortunately as it does sound quite interesting.
[notify]

Barked: Tue Apr 10, '12 5:46am PST 
Thanks for the reply. I'm going to B&N today to see if they stock any of the Mary Strauss Books. If not, I'll place an order for one.
Once I get the hang of it, I think it will be fun to cook for Spiffy.

After all,people said grooming a Miniature Schnauzer was too difficult for most owners. But,after the beginning hurdles, I rather enjoy it. And, she looks very good, if I do say so myself.
[notify]