GO!

any recipes for a 5 mo. old Chihuahua

This is the place to share your best homemade dog food and treat recipes with each other! Remember to use caution if your pet has allergies and to make any diet changes gradually so that your dog's stomach can adjust to the new foods you are introducing.

Tinkerbell

Barked: Wed Mar 28, '12 9:20pm PST 
I have an adorable rescue puppy, Tinkerbell, she is over 5 lbs and I have started making home recipes for her...but I want to make sure she is getting what her little body needs. I bought a can of Basic Instinct, which is Raw Daily Boost Powder Suppliment...it comes in beef, chicken etc...variety. I put a teaspoon in her food and mix well. My recipes usually call for white rice,boiled chicken, or microwaved beef lean, blotted. and cooked veg. all mixed...and treats are cooked yams that I freeze and cut into slices. Abd a couple times a week I put peanut butter in her Pong and she really enjoys that. She is a very happy Chihuahua only problem we are dealing with right now is aggression. She start her obedience class in a couple mos. after she heals from her Spading which will take place April 6. I'm I doing the right thing. The reason I started to do this is she hate kibbles...just hates them. Thanks for any help. Her MaMa Patti
[notify]
Maxwell

I'm triple- superior MAD- now!

Barked: Thu Mar 29, '12 3:49am PST 
Good job cooking for your dog, a worthwhile thing to do.

I don't think the Daily Boost is meant to complete a diet made from fresh food. It actually sounds like powdered freeze dried raw food meant to perk up the flavor of kibble. Fine but won't fill the holes in a meat, rice and veggy diet.

How about reading through the thread on links about home cooking for some ideas?

It is important to make every calorie count when feeding a puppy. Dogs thrive on fat and protein, feed mostly meat, egg, fish, possibly dairy and a little liver. My 38 pound senior citizen Max needs as much calcium, phosphorus, zinc, B12 and a number of other nutrients as I do! Meat, particularly red meat like pork, lamb and beef, is a better source than chicken. Meat isn't high in calcium, powdering eggshell and mixing 1/2 tsp of it with a pound of meaty stuff provides the right amount but mixing in 900 mgs worth of calcium in bonemeal is even better. To finish off the diet consider use 25% by raw weight of a mix of pureed or cooked low calorie vegetables like celery, greens, zucchini, broccoli and cabbage.

For tomorrow mix in 1/2 tsp of eggshell to a pound of meat in whatever you have already prepared, a pinch to 1/4 pound of meat would be fine. I microwave empty egg shells until they are crispy and use my old coffee grinder to powder the shell but a mortar and pestle or even a rolling pin work fine. It is a tiny amount of powder, mix in well. I would rather use human grade bone meal for calcium than egg shell, see if you can find one you trust. Next time you buy meat for her buy more pork, lamb or beef than chicken and get a container of beef liver. I would cut that liver into 1 ounce bits and add one bit for each pound of meat you cook. I put the rest of the bits on a sheet of plastic, rolled it up and froze for later.

I really like Lew Olson's Low Glycemic diet posted on B-Naturals newsletters.
http://www.b-naturals.com/newsletter/index.php/archive/low-glycemi c/
I also think getting one or two of the cookbooks reviewed by Mary Straus on dogaware.com would be a good idea.
http://www.dogaware.com/diet/bookreviews.html
Something about a book in hand is very reassuring and I trust her judgement. Many of those books can be previewed on Amazon or Google books. If you are lucky some could be in your local library. A quick and easy check, if the recipes include calcium they are worth a look, if no calcium then the recipes aren't suitable for a complete diet.
[notify]
Tinkerbell

Barked: Thu Mar 29, '12 3:57pm PST 
Thank you for your response I will go tothe sites you suggested and try them out...guess my main concern was taking her off puppy kibbles to soon.
[notify]

Bailey

The Only Thing- That Shines- Brighter The

Barked: Sat Mar 31, '12 11:51am PST 
I had seen this recipie on line and had made it for my yorkie...he loved it and there were no ingredients that would upset his stomach...just a suggestion but it smells great and according to my yorkie bailey it tasted great!

3 cups ground buffalo (lean)

2 eggs

1 and a half cups old fashioned oats

three quarter's of a cup grated mixed vegetables, including zucchini, broccoli, carrots, and sweet potato

half cup cottage cheese

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Hand-mix all ingredients and press into a loaf pan. Bake for 40 minutes. May be refrigerated, or frozen in slices for easy serving.

Substitute ground turkey, chicken, or beef
[notify]
Maxwell

I'm triple- superior MAD- now!

Barked: Sat Mar 31, '12 3:22pm PST 
That does sound easy and tasty. How long does that loaf last for a little dog? It would probably be three days worth for 38 pound Max.

Unless you add 900 mg of calcium per pound of meat it won't be a complete diet though. Adding an ounce of beef liver per pound of meat is a really good idea too. Using fatty fish like salmon, sardines or mackerel for a loaf would be great as well. I would also use a lot less oatmeal if the budget permits and you probably could use sweet potato, potato, cooked rice, quinoa or other starchy foods instead.

I did mix up different recipes and baked them for Sassy a while back. She enjoyed getting a different meat loaf every day I think.

Bet you would want to eat that stuff yourself, it must smell so good while cooking. I know we ate a lot of chicken soup after I cooked up her chicken.
[notify]
Bailey

The Only Thing- That Shines- Brighter The

Barked: Sun Apr 1, '12 11:20am PST 
It should last several days for a small dog...however..my friends with big dogs insist it would be gone in a couple of bites if fed to their dogs smile I have tried it before feeding it to Bailey and he had no complaints and neither did I..it's not porterhouse steak but it definately is up there..lol

Bailey
[notify]