GO!

My Dogs' Progress in Eating Healthier

This is the place to share your best homemade dog food and treat recipes with each other! Remember to use caution if your pet has allergies and to make any diet changes gradually so that your dog's stomach can adjust to the new foods you are introducing.

Luna Tuna Coyote

Luuuuuuna- Tuuuuuuna

Barked: Tue Mar 27, '12 3:45pm PST 
http://www.dogster.com/forums/Food_and_Nutrition/thread/740059
That is my previous posting from a few days ago. which I put in the wrong section. So I will continue here smile

Bought Wellness Chicken Recipe for them and they seem to like it. I boiled a big chicken and shredded it up. Sprinkled some broth and mixed it with the kibble. It's gonna take a lot more chicken to feed the 4 of them than I thought. Almost all the meat on the chicken was gone in 2 meals. Thinking about mixing in eggs every couple days. How should I cook the eggs? And how many each meal to split between 4 dogs? When I cook myself scrambled eggs, I pour in milk when mixing. Is that a "no-go" for dogs? I've heard that dairy isn't too good for them.

A few things to know about my pups & their eating preferences. If whatever is mixed into the kibble is not STUCK to the kibble in extremely tiny pieces, they will eat only the wet food & leave the dry. So that's why I shredded the chicken in a mini electric food shredder. I'm considering making them vegetables to mix as well, possibly shredding them too.

So that would be Wellness dry food, boiled chicken, eggs, veges,....anything else that comes to mind? I've heard of people giving their dogs Fish Oil supplements, is that something reccommended?
[notify]
Maxwell

I'm triple- superior MAD- now!

Barked: Tue Mar 27, '12 4:24pm PST 
Right. They are called 'toppers' but any sensible dog would just eat the fresh stuff rather than the kibble if you didn't mix it in really well! I would be evil and dilute the pureed meat if it doesn't go far enough. Budgets are budgets after all!

It is fine to substitute up to about 25% fresh food calories for kibble calories. You can use any meat you find out there. Add some liver to the meat if you like but in small amounts, maybe an ounce or two of liver per pound of meat or so. Try hamburger, pork, turkey, fish - whatever you find in your budget. Just stew it up without salt and blend well into a meat gravy, my stick blender can handle cooked meat chunks but not raw ones.

Max gets raw for meals and eats either raw or scrambled egg scraped from the pan I cook my breakfast in. Try with and without milk, see how your dogs do with dairy. Some are fine, some aren't. Egg is rich stuff like liver so start slow, maybe split a single egg between all the dogs first day and work up to a couple a week for a medium sized dog.

Yes, fish oil is good stuff. Here is an article about how much to use per dog. http://www.dogaware.com/diet/supplements.html#fishoil
Or you can feed canned or fresh fatty fish such as mackerel, salmon, herring or sardines every couple of days.

Here is an article about adding fresh food to kibble. There really aren't many foods to avoid. Since you are feeding kibble don't feed grains or starchy veggies, stick to protein rich food. I think kibble is far too low in fat for healthy dogs but do be aware that a sudden change in food, especially fatty ones can cause serious health issues so start slow with any new meat!
http://www.dogaware.com/diet/freshfoods.html
[notify]
Hucky and- Ringo

Barked: Thu Apr 12, '12 12:59pm PST 
Luna, I do the same thing. I cook a 5 lb bag of bonelss chicken breast and shred it up and add to kibble but just like you, with only 2 dogs it didn't last the week. So now I add a bag of frozen green beans and a bag of frozen carrots and I also cook 3 lbs of ground beef and mix it all together. I'll also add any leftovers that I don't plan on eating again. I do it to give them less kibble and more people food. With all the different re-calls on different dry dog foods, I wish I could do without the kibble all together.
[notify]