GO!

Really runny poo on homecooked??

This is the place to share your best homemade dog food and treat recipes with each other! Remember to use caution if your pet has allergies and to make any diet changes gradually so that your dog's stomach can adjust to the new foods you are introducing.

Riley

Mommys spoiled- little boy!

Barked: Sat Mar 10, '12 11:04am PST 
I have just started a home cooked diet for my dogs and have followed all the advice I could find on b-naturals website and think I have the right mixture but all three of my dogs have runny runny poo. I added pro-biotics to there mix and that isn't working as of yet. Do you think its because this is a new diet? I did fast them for 24 hours before starting the new diet. Thanks in advance.
[notify]
Maxwell

I'm triple- superior MAD- now!

Barked: Sat Mar 10, '12 5:06pm PST 
That is too bad.

I don't remember if I mixed the old and new foods together back when I switched to feeding the dogs fresh food or not. Suspect I did. It is likely the fiber content is different from the kibble as well as the protein and fat content.

If you don't want to transition slowly you could try skipping a meal and then feed less. I read an interesting method of switching foods cold turkey, just feed half the usual amount of food! If poop stays nice then increase a little every day or so. I figure if poop is loose then the dog isn't getting any nutrition from it anyway, might as well cut back on the feed until things settle down. The dogs might need less of the new stuff than they needed of kibble anyway.
[notify]
Indi

Top Dog

Barked: Sat Mar 10, '12 7:23pm PST 
I really like Maxwell's ideas. Lew has an article on this in the newsletter section of her website. I did switch all four of my dogs to home cooked cold turkey. I use Lew's low glycemic recipes. None of them had any problem with loose stool or gas.
That really surprised me. I was prepared for anything.

The most common cause of loose stool is too much food, second is too much fat, third is too much fiber. It may take some tweaking for you to determine which diet works best for your guys but it is definitely worth the time and effort.

I hope your doggies feel better soon.
[notify]

Riley

Mommys spoiled- little boy!

Barked: Sat Mar 10, '12 10:11pm PST 
Thanks for the info guys. I think I may have put too much fish oil and from the research I have done too much can cause the runny poos. I put pumpkin in with dinner and had a tube of probios probiotics so loaded them up on that...still waiting to see if that helped, if not I will let you all know, thanks so much for the advice. I do love homecooked though way better than kibble. I cant do raw as I work too much and rely on the hubby to do most of the feeding and he refuses...so homecooking works for us, I make big batches and then put in bags for him to feed. Idiot proof, almost...lol
[notify]

Barked: Mon Mar 19, '12 3:32am PST 
I'm sorry to hear that. Can you try, perhaps, essentially raw meat for your dog? Perhaps, for a day or two. You'll notice a change in the stools. They will be firm. I use BARF diet for my dogs for years. They never suffer from diarrheac stools.
[notify]
Lucille

I am the Sock- Bandit!!!

Barked: Mon Mar 19, '12 8:56am PST 
Raw meat can cause diarrhea just as readily as a homecooked diet can. Some dogs don't transition easily, that could be what's going on here. If that's the case, switching to raw, even if it is BARF, could cause similar issues with these dogs because it would be yet again another dietary transition.

Hopefully the pumpkin helped settle things. I'm curious to hear more about the low glycemic stuff, I hope they work out well for your dogs.
[notify]

Barked: Tue Mar 20, '12 12:14am PST 
The low-glycemic food, interesting. Hhhhm, let me look that up and see how I can use it for my dog.
[notify]
Tucker

I would very- much like the- ball.

Barked: Tue Apr 3, '12 5:39am PST 
im having this problem. I got my dog from the pound where they feed him science diet. ive tried switching slowly but hes got the mega runs.
[notify]

Barked: Tue Apr 3, '12 8:59am PST 
I hope you will try to serve raw sometime. They're really good. The stools are firm, and the dog's breath doesn't smell. I know, because my dog has been raw-fed for years.
[notify]
Maxwell

I'm triple- superior MAD- now!

Barked: Tue Apr 3, '12 11:11am PST 
That is too bad. If he is eating okay then he probably isn't actually ill anyway. Is the poop frequent? If so then treat it like he is ill and fast him for at least half a day and start feeding him very lean bland food. I used chicken breast and rice but Aina wrote that a mix of white, sweet potato and I think turnip was better. If he poops a normal number of times a day but it is loose try feeding a lot less and make the food lower fat.

Have you tried to figure out how many calories you used to feed and matched with the fresh food? I couldn't do it, the bags didn't have that information on them back then. I just fed 20 calories per pound of dog and after a week fed more or less depending on the dog's condition. Sassy ended up needing about 25 calories per pound and Max only needs about 15 calories per pound.
[notify]