GO!

New dog owner please help!!!

This is the place to share your best homemade dog food and treat recipes with each other! Remember to use caution if your pet has allergies and to make any diet changes gradually so that your dog's stomach can adjust to the new foods you are introducing.

Dex

Barked: Fri Mar 9, '12 2:52am PST 
This is my first time owning a dog and I am totally in love with him,therefore I want the very best of all for him.After realizing how much I really should pay attention to labels I would like to mix his kibble with some fresh foods I just dont know where to begin so I would like to know if anybody would be willing to give me any information on nutrition,as far as what needs to be in the meals and any recipes would be GRATEFULLY appreciated.Thanks in advance!!!By the way I would like cooked not raw!!
[notify]
Maxwell

I'm triple- superior MAD- now!

Barked: Fri Mar 9, '12 9:42am PST 
welcome

The fresh food that is mixed with kibble is called 'toppers', you can attempt to do a search here on the subject but Dogster doesn't have much of one.

Good idea! The idea is that dogs are carnivores and kibble doesn't have enough meat protein in it so supplement with meat, organ, fish, eggs and possibly dairy. Another main point is to substitute the fresh food calories for the kibble calories or the dog will either get fat or have an upset stomach. You can substitute about 25% kibble calories for fresh food calories without messing up the diet's goals.

After seeing how much better my dogs are on more fat I also think the fat in meat is really good for dogs. Most kibbles are around 15% fat which is about 30% fat calories which is the amount of fat humans want to take in if they are on a diet! The best part is if your dog does well on fatty toppers good but if not, no problem - just change the topper so it is less fatty by draining and/or rinsing ground meat, taking skin off chicken and the like.

Here is a completely amazing site with a library of information on feeding dogs every which way. Look for a sneaky space in the URL that Dogster puts in if the link doesn't work.
http://www.dogaware.com/index.html
[notify]
Dex

Barked: Fri Mar 9, '12 5:52pm PST 
Thank you very much for your welcome and input,I will be checking this out.
[notify]