GO!

Simple, healthy wet-food recipe

This is the place to share your best homemade dog food and treat recipes with each other! Remember to use caution if your pet has allergies and to make any diet changes gradually so that your dog's stomach can adjust to the new foods you are introducing.

Dougal

I own zero, but- I'm seldom- dissatisfied

Barked: Fri Feb 3, '12 10:36pm PST 
You need a 3-gallon boiling pan, an electric meat grinder and containers big enough to hold 3 gallons.

2 1/2 - 3lb ground chicken parts, mostly neck and rib cage. It comes in big bags from stores that supply caterers. Used mainly to make stock. Boil it and put it through a grinder.
One large horse radish (about 5-6lb). Cut into 1-2 inch cubes and boil it in the chicken stock (with more water if needed) till soft.
A big bunch (maybe 1lb) of a leafy green veg. Our current is mugwort. Morning glory's good, so is spinach. Whatever's available and cheap. Chopped up and boiled in the chicken stock till soft.
Agar jelly powder 2 1/2 - 3 oz. Boil it in a pint or so of water in a separate pan until it thickens.

Spread the cooked veg across the bottom of your storage containers.

Use the veg water to cook 6 cups of rice.

Add the ground chicken and the jelly mixture, give it all a good stir, then top up the pan with with cool water and stir again.

If you want more flavour, try a few spoons of Vegemite.

Pour it all over the veg in your containers, let it set and cool, then refrigerate.

I use 2-litre ice-cream containers. It's easy to slice the food into the portions you want, then serve.

Non-fattening, nutritious, filling, and tasty.

Note: The funny-looking human I live with helps me a bit with the preparation.

Edited by author Sat Feb 4, '12 8:44pm PST

[notify]
Jackson Tan

Lad about town

Barked: Mon Mar 19, '12 3:23pm PST 
Last time I ate mugwort cooked in food I had mild hallucinations. Same when I used to smoke it. It contains thujone which is toxic in large doses or if consumed for long periods.

Don't know if it's a great idea to give it to a dog...
[notify]
Chance

How You Doin'?

Barked: Mon Mar 19, '12 4:10pm PST 
I thought Morning Glory was considered toxic for dogs.
[notify]

Barked: Tue Mar 20, '12 12:11am PST 
Morning glory is toxic for many domestic animals. Dogs and guinea pigs included.
[notify]
Maxwell

I'm triple- superior MAD- now!

Barked: Tue Mar 20, '12 8:55am PST 
Dougal isn't in the US, perhaps the names of those veggies are different there.

Other than that it is very high in carbs, phosphorus and calcium due to the high rice and bone content and low in protein, vitamins and minerals because chicken and veggies are low in vitamins and minerals and there is so much rice. I would be concerned about the bones getting ground, grinding them several times might work though.

Substitute red meat like pork, beef or lamb for 2/3-4/5 of the chicken frames, cut the raw rice to about a cup and add in an ounce or two of beef liver per pound of meat and bone and you might have something here. If those veggies are okay that is!
[notify]

Barked: Thu Mar 22, '12 7:54pm PST 
Maxwell, I bookmarked the recipe. It's actually good. But I'll make some substitutions on some of the ingredients.
[notify]