GO!

seizure dog considering homemade food

This is the place to share your best homemade dog food and treat recipes with each other! Remember to use caution if your pet has allergies and to make any diet changes gradually so that your dog's stomach can adjust to the new foods you are introducing.

(Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 18)  
1  2  
Dylan aka- Dilly

frisbee- s rule

Barked: Mon Jan 16, '12 5:09am PST 
that is a wonderfull site.

there was another one I found, but lost it when my puter crashed.
let me see if I can find it again
[notify]
Dylan aka- Dilly

frisbee- s rule

Barked: Mon Jan 16, '12 5:12am PST 
check this one out too

http://forums.cvm.missouri.edu/cenbb/
[notify]
Torie

If you can roll- in the dirt, do- it!

Barked: Mon Jan 16, '12 10:49am PST 
People's (usually children's) epilepsy has been controlled with something like the ketogenic diet. The diet is very low in carbohydrates and higher in fat (somewhat like Atkins). It often controls epilepsy when nothing else will. OTOH that's people not dogs. But it would be interesting if that helped anyway. It wouldn't be a cheap diet, obviously. The first diet was a vegetarian diet. I don't think there is any way that would work.

--des
[notify]

Dakota

today is my best- day

Barked: Mon Jan 16, '12 1:25pm PST 
Sorry about the medical issued, but in response to your comment about the expense of homemade dog food....my Mom and Dad have been feeding me and the Boo, home cooked food for years. My Dad buys chicken legs and thighs and can usually catch them on sale for 69 cents a pound. He roast them until they are tender and bones them out be sure to watch for that needle bone in the leg. (save the broth, remove the oil after it sets up in the frig) Each meal We get a portion of chicken, with add rice, oats, and assorted mixed veggies (sometimes canned some times table left overs and sometimes fresh) And then some of the broth from the roasting is added. and any supplements I need. The Boo and I love it and are extremely healthy. Dad says it runs bout $10.00 a week, which is less than the chemical, by-products from commercial foods. But now that The Boo has gone home to God the food should last longer...until we get another buddy for me.
[notify]
Maxwell

I'm triple- superior MAD- now!

Barked: Mon Jan 16, '12 2:03pm PST 
Max's raw diet is meat, bone and organs with virtually zero carbs. He was an extremely nervous dog and on raw noticeably calmed down but he had stopped having seizures years before he went on raw. I feed Max for about $20-25 a month, 20 pounds of meats and organs.

If uncomfortable feeding raw then you can mix 3 pounds of meat/fish/egg/dairy/organ with 1 pound of low carb veggies with a source of calcium and that works too. That would feed a 50 pound dog for 3-4 days. Here is more info on that sort of thing.
http://www.b-naturals.com/newsletter/low-glycemic/
[notify]
Kadidja

native of Niger- princess

Barked: Tue Jan 17, '12 8:32pm PST 
Why are you to give to the dog a mode vegetarian? The beans are for the people and the sheep. Why do you want to give to the plants with a dog? Give to the dog a meat qu' it n' did not eat front, like ox. Ox flow during a few weeks and to see s' it ya of the allergies.
[notify]
Nacho

Barked: Mon Jan 23, '12 6:55am PST 
hello everyone im new to this forum, my dog has had 2 seizures and i have become concerned witht he quality of food so i would like to change to home made cuz here in INDIA the only food available is pedigree and i dont thinki is very good quality

do you think is healthy to give the dog chicken liver?? mixed with the vegetables and all of that?
[notify]
Maxwell

I'm triple- superior MAD- now!

Barked: Mon Jan 23, '12 7:30am PST 
Chicken liver is very good food but should be a small part of the diet.

To add to the recipe above, 3 pounds of meaty stuff like chicken, beef, pork AND fatty fish, eggs, dairy include about 10% of that as any sort of liver + 1 pound of mixed veggies. Then add in a source of calcium at about 900 mg per pound of food. A 1/2 teaspoon of powdered eggshell works great and is free if you are feeding egg.

Liver is very rich and causes loose stool for one thing!

I think I forgot my source for the recipe. Here it is, take out any pesky spaces.
http://www.b-naturals.com/newsletter/index.php/archive/low- glycemic/
[notify]
  (Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 18)  
1  2