GO!

How to determine amount to start feeding?

This is the place to share your best homemade dog food and treat recipes with each other! Remember to use caution if your pet has allergies and to make any diet changes gradually so that your dog's stomach can adjust to the new foods you are introducing.

(Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 15)  
1  2  
Adam

Vaccine free- -Disease free- goes pawinpaw

Barked: Sun Dec 25, '11 8:33pm PST 
Kloppers that's fine to feed, any way that is the best price for you is fine. I buy large meat (not made for dogs) because that's just easier and cheaper for me. Recently I bought a mix but normally mixes are more money for me. Maybe check out the thread "So what's in your food bowl today?" for examples of what rawbies feed smile If things get too expensive you can feed partial raw or homecooked.

Beauregard a whole chicken is about 30-40% bone. So if you feed say a chicken leg one day that's 30% bone. Then the next couple days you would feed boneless meal. That would bring it to only 10% bone, what you want to aim for but it doesn't need to be perfect. For the organs I feed what mine need once a week, sometimes twice a week. Weigh your organs and you can feed a little every day or like I do. There's a raw spreadsheet you can download if you want. It gets a lot less confusing in a short time.

Edited by author Sun Dec 25, '11 8:35pm PST

[notify]
Beauregard

Barked: Mon Dec 26, '11 3:43am PST 
@Adam, Thanks, I knew you could help me and thank you to Maxwell, I really appreciate all the help from both of you. I was just putting the whole chicken down for him and letting him eat it until I thought he had enough and then picking it up to put away for later. Maybe it would be better to cut it up and just give pieces of it to him. I haven't given him any organs yet, his vet says he can't have liver and I don't know what to give him to replace it. So far he's only had chicken and lamb.
He got a package of lamb loin chops and two whole organic chickens for Christmas. Is lamb considered to be red meat. Beauregard can't eat pork or beef,what else is considered as red meat. I hope your right Adam about it getting less confusing in a short time.
@Kloppers, I hope you also find the information from Maxwell and Adam to be helpful. When you read so much stuff and you really don't understand what your reading it gets very frustrating. It's obvious if I were a dog I definitely wouldn't be a Border Collie.(lol) I'm sure if Beauregard could read he would understand it alot better than I do.
Anyways good luck Kloppers and I'm sure your dogs will be very happy with their new diet.
[notify]
Kloppers

Are you talking- to me?

Barked: Mon Dec 26, '11 4:35am PST 
Thanks Maxwell and Adam...I like having other choices than just kibble, sadly convenience is important to me. I am also concerned that my vet is not a fan of raw and having that battle every time I go in will suck, now it is decision time!

What are the thoughts on something like SOJOS grain-free dog mix, that all I have to do is add hot water and a protein source? SOJOS is more affordable than the Honest Kitchen option.

Thanks again for all your input.
[notify]

Beauregard

Barked: Mon Dec 26, '11 6:08am PST 
@Kloppers.I used to give Beauregard Urban Wolf which is very similar to
SOJOS. I found it to be more expensive and because it is very mushy when you make it up the dog doesn't get to exercise their jaws or get the teeth cleaning action they would get from the bone in the prey model diet. Also I don't think that Beauregard found it very satisfying he seemed to always be hungry even though I was giving him more then what was recommended for his weight. He seems more satisfied with his meals now and he is not always looking for more to eat.
[notify]

Barked: Mon Dec 26, '11 8:02am PST 
YOU HAVE TO TRY NATURES VARIETY FOODS!!!!! I cant recommend them more all i can say is go to their website http://www.naturesvariety.com/ and be amazed. It has tons of info and a feeding guide. Their food has been amazing and has practically given us a new dog( it made our old dog act less, well old laugh out loud the site has testemonials, info, coupons, and a feeding guide that is AMAZING!!!!!!!!!!! Their philosjopy is that if ee cant be heslthy and est the same thing everyday, how can dogs??? So all the food is desinged so you can interchange what type (rabbit,chicken ect.) you feed at each meal. The food is like eating at a really upscale restersunt EVERYDAY for the dogs. they have cannned, kibble, and raw. I feed cosette all three at both meals. On the feeding guide, it tells you athe daily paverage you r dog should be eating. Divide that by the number of meals, and your ready to go!!!! Go to the site and swap foods NOW!!!! You wont be dissappointed. Hope this was helpful.
[notify]
  (Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 15)  
1  2