GO!

How much is too much?

This is the place to share your best homemade dog food and treat recipes with each other! Remember to use caution if your pet has allergies and to make any diet changes gradually so that your dog's stomach can adjust to the new foods you are introducing.

Hucky and- Ringo

Barked: Tue Nov 29, '11 11:09am PST 
I have alot of left over turkey from thanksgiving. How much turkey is too much for the boys at dinner time, or is it just as safe as any other meat?
[notify]
Lucille

I am the Sock- Bandit!!!

Barked: Tue Nov 29, '11 11:53am PST 
I'd take the skin off to be on the safe side, that's where most of the fat is. I think turkey has a bad rap because people give their dogs plate scrapings in large quantities after T day, dogs get sick, so some people think that means turkey is bad. It's pretty close to chicken nutritionally, so if you have any chicken quantities you normally feed, go by that.

Quantities to feed depend on the weight of your dog and the recipe, sorry I'm not much help there. You can always freeze some of your turkey meat and feed it later, too.
[notify]
Maxwell

I'm triple- superior MAD- now!

Barked: Tue Nov 29, '11 5:39pm PST 
Rule of thumb is you can replace 25% kibble calories with fresh food calories without messing up the nutritional balance. If you are cooking for the dogs just use the turkey in place of some of the usual meat, cup for cup.

More meat is better and fat is fine IF the dog is healthy - lots of dogs that get sick after holiday fatty scrap binges already had wonky pancreases and did okay when they were fed low fat diets like most kibbles. I sure wouldn't take any chances, pancreatitis is horrible. If you want to feed some skin start really small and add a little more as you see it isn't a problem.

Chopped turkey meat has about 240 calories per cup.

What about chopping up the meat and freezing in baggies or containers for later?
[notify]