GO!

Dog treats for dog with allergies

This is the place to share your best homemade dog food and treat recipes with each other! Remember to use caution if your pet has allergies and to make any diet changes gradually so that your dog's stomach can adjust to the new foods you are introducing.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Zoi

Lets go- Swimming!

Barked: Mon Nov 28, '11 10:55am PST 
My dog is allergic to wheat, corn, soy, and peanut butter. But I want to make her some treats for the holidays. Since we humans are getting cookies and fudge. I thought it only fair to make her something special. So does anyone have any recipes that would work. Were always willing to try new things.
[notify]
Squ'mey

too old to eat- any more KD

Barked: Mon Nov 28, '11 11:47am PST 
I actually have a batch of biscuits in the oven right nowlaugh out loud
Duck-oatmeal
I use my bread maker to make the dough..mine says liquids first so...
1 3/4 cups shredded duck & stock
1 egg
3 cups oatmeal
3/4 cup oat bran
1/3 cup skim milk powder
2 t garlic powder
2 t brewers' yeast
take out the dough as it goes into the first rise cycle. Roll out to 1/4" & cut into biscuits. Let rise in a warm place until doubled in size. Bake 25 minutes at 325, then flip over & bake another 10 minutes. For extra crispy..turn oven off & leave them in the oven for a few hours.

This batch yielded 110 small biscuits & 12 extra large. smile
Oops..time to flip minesmile good luck!

Edited by author Mon Nov 28, '11 11:52am PST

[notify]
Zoi

Lets go- Swimming!

Barked: Mon Nov 28, '11 1:57pm PST 
That sounds like a great recipe. We can't wait to try it. But do you know if we could substitute chicken for the duck.
[notify]

Squ'mey

Barked: Mon Nov 28, '11 8:28pm PST 
absolutely you can substitute chickenlaugh out loud I had the duck leftover in the freezer.
[notify]
Bruno CGC

Honorary Kelpie

Barked: Tue Nov 29, '11 5:03pm PST 
Squam, a question:

do you mean brewers yeast or baking yeast? Brewers yeast is dead leftovers from making beer, I don't think it would make bread rise, but you said your biscuits do rise. Did you mean baking yeast instead?
[notify]
Lexi

Spreading Smiles- Wherever I- Go....

Barked: Tue Nov 29, '11 6:21pm PST 
You can also make treats from the brand of kibble you eat but buy the same brand in a can. Open both ends and Push it out, slice 1' thick cut in 4 pieces and bake at 350 for about 10 min shut off oven and leave in oven overnight. They will be hard and crunchy.
[notify]
Lexi

Spreading Smiles- Wherever I- Go....

Barked: Tue Nov 29, '11 6:21pm PST 
You can also make treats from the brand of kibble you eat but buy the same brand in a can. Open both ends and Push it out, slice 1' thick cut in 4 pieces and bake at 350 for about 10 min shut off oven and leave in oven overnight. They will be hard and crunchy.
[notify]
Squ'mey

Barked: Tue Nov 29, '11 7:23pm PST 
Bruno..you are absolutely correct..i made a typo! I did use baking yeast. I must have had brewers' yeast on the brain for the next batch i'm makingred facelaugh out loud Good catch! Sorry to OP if yours did not rise..my bad...but i am sure they would be just as tastywink
[notify]
Bianca CGC- TT HIC Thd- ♥

What big ears- you have...

Barked: Wed Nov 30, '11 12:02am PST 
You can often substitute other kinds of flour for white or wheat flour in recipes. For example oat flour, quinoa flour, chickpea flour, rice flour etc...
If you search google you can find info on substitutions like this, and you can find many dog treat recipes.
Here are two pages I found about flour substitution:
http://www.ellenskitchen.com/faqs/glutfree.html
and
http://www.foodsubs.com/Flournw.html

Here is one treat recipe I've made that uses brown rice flour (I left out the charcoal when I made it):

Breath Biscuits

2 cups brown rice flour
1 Tbl. charcoal
1 large egg slightly beaten
3 Tbl. vegetable oil
1/2 cup chopped parsley
1/3 cup chopped fresh mint
2/3 cup milk

Preheat oven to 400. Combine flour, salt and charcoal. In a medium bowl, combine egg, oil, parsley and mint; mix well. Slowly stir in flour mixture, then add enough milk to make a dough the consistency of drop biscuits. Drop heaping tablespoons of dough about 1 in. apart onto greased baking sheets. Bake 15 min., or until firm. Store cooled biscuits in tightly covered container in refrigerator.

Edited by author Wed Nov 30, '11 12:05am PST

[notify]
Maxwell

I'm triple- superior MAD- now!

Barked: Wed Nov 30, '11 6:58am PST 
I used an old coffee mill to grind up rice to make into cookies for Sassy. If your dog has allergies to wheat you can try grinding rice or oatmeal into a fine enough powder to make cookies. I bet barley or quinoa could be ground as well. Even though the rice particles aren't as fine as flour they absorbed enough water so they weren't raw after baking and the texture was nice, not a solid paste. If a grain or seed doesn't absorb moisture well you could let it sit for a 1/2 hour or so to see if that helps. Dogs don't really care as much about mouth feel as we do anyway so imperfect attempts don't have to go to waste.

4 ounces of rice ground [just about 5/8 cup whole rice]
1 whole egg or 2 egg whites or I suppose you could use 2-3 egg yolks
4 ounces chicken/pork/beef/lamb/turkey/goose well you get the idea liver
1 or less clove of garlic

Puree the liver and garlic together, mix in egg and flour
Spread in a very well greased or parchment paper lined 8"x8" pan and bake until done at 350*F, about 15-20 minutes. I just baked until set in the middle like bar cookies.

You can use any wet stuff you like instead of liver. Sassy got oyster cookies [they were green!] and banana cookies dusted with cinnamon [no garlic!]. Pumpkin would be great, could try with plain meat baby food.

I left these as moist bars but you could cut them and rebake to make doggy biscotti I suspect.

I tried making cookies with no grain a few months ago, that worked well too. Just use half low calorie very well cooked veggies like zucchini, celery, broccoli, cabbage, spinach instead the grain. 4 ounces of veggies, 4 ounces of meaty stuff and an egg with garlic for flavoring if you like.

The blender is the best tool for making any dog cookies. Unfortunately it is a real bad idea to have the dog help clean up by licking the blender out! The last couple times I used it to make dog cookies I put some water and yogurt in the blender, whirled, and put it into an ice cube tray. Doggy frozen delights for free!
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2