GO!

Does anyone have a recipe for liver treats?

This is the place to share your best homemade dog food and treat recipes with each other! Remember to use caution if your pet has allergies and to make any diet changes gradually so that your dog's stomach can adjust to the new foods you are introducing.

Jackson Tan

Lad about town

Barked: Tue Nov 8, '11 6:00pm PST 
Hi homecookers!

I need a good, palatable recipe for treats I can make with chicken livers. My dog refuses to eat it raw, cooked, cooked with cheese, frozen, minced, hidden...does anyone have a failsafe recipe for delicious treats? Also, a recipe for kidney treats would be awesome. Please help me and my picky doggy! Thanks all!
[notify]
Maxwell

I'm triple- superior MAD- now!

Barked: Tue Nov 8, '11 10:07pm PST 
I have some in the freezer Max likes a lot but he loves liver.

Equal amounts of liver and assorted veggies plus an egg. I happened to have lettuce, carrots, celery and apple puree and a clove of garlic on hand. Slim pickings that day! Put the livers and veggies in a pan with some water and cook until veggies are very soft. Drain and puree the veggies, liver with the egg. Pour into strips on a cookie sheet covered with parchment paper as it is potentially very sticky stuff. Bake at 350* until firm in the middle of the strips. Makes pancake textured cookies that should be stored in the freezer or used up within a week if stored in the refrigerator.
[notify]
Jackson Tan

Lad about town

Barked: Tue Nov 8, '11 10:17pm PST 
Thanks Maxwell! I'll try it, they sound nice and healthy.
[notify]

Crash- Dynamite

Live up to your- Name!

Barked: Wed Nov 9, '11 10:54am PST 
I found a nice Ginger Snaps recipe online and used pureed liver in place of the molasses. I also swapped out the Wheat four for rice (so it was gluten free)
[notify]
Jackson Tan

Lad about town

Barked: Wed Nov 9, '11 11:20pm PST 
Good idea crash! I was actually considering the human substitution way myself. I'll start experimenting.
[notify]
Caesar

Barked: Thu Nov 10, '11 12:15pm PST 
This is for beef liver. Get 1# fresh/frozen(thawed) liver. Dump it into a food processor including the blood. Add 2 eggs, shells and all. Add a couple of cloves of garlic (in that amount they're not dangerous) & about 1/4c. of oil. You also can add brewers yeast, wheat germ, leftover veggies, bananas, etc. Whatever you want.

Blend until chopped and slushy. Pour into a bowl and mix in enough flour (whole wheat is best) to be a sticky dough. Spread in a shallow pan (I use a cookie sheet with sides on it & cover with foil first). Bake at 250 degrees at least an hour or until dried and firm in the center. Cool and cut into strips, chunks, whatever. Store in fridge or freezer (they keep up to 6 months in the freezer).
[notify]
Jackson Tan

Lad about town

Barked: Tue Nov 15, '11 10:23pm PST 
Ave, Caesar. way to go
[notify]
Maxwell

I'm triple- superior MAD- now!

Barked: Wed Nov 16, '11 8:29am PST 
If you do Caesar's recipe in a food processor that can handle making bread you can make a pizza crust type dough that isn't sticky. Just continue adding a little flour until there is a ball that mostly isn't sticking to the processor's bowl. I used to cut it lengthwise into sticks before baking and only bake through, not til dry. It was easy to pinch into tiny treats for training that way.

Once I rolled it out on a floured board, cut with a canape cutter and baked into a fairly dry cookie. Made really cute oyster cracker looking treats as the dough puffed when baked. I gave them out as Max's birthday treats one year. Lots of work but worth it for special occasions.

These were the dogs' gateway to real liver. I really think this sort of thing is why Max dives for the liver first every time. He had years of getting a little liver in a lot of bread during training times plus all the anticipation before he ever got a taste.
[notify]
Lucille

I am the Sock- Bandit!!!

Barked: Fri Feb 10, '12 12:15pm PST 
Bump...I was looking for liver recipes, too and Caesar's person (I think) suggested this thread. Good stuff!dog
[notify]