GO!

Herbs and home cooking

This is the place to share your best homemade dog food and treat recipes with each other! Remember to use caution if your pet has allergies and to make any diet changes gradually so that your dog's stomach can adjust to the new foods you are introducing.

Dunlop

Dunlop-named for- the rider not- the tyer

Barked: Sun Oct 9, '11 1:05am PST 
Dunlop has a thing, particularly as a puppy for chewing on Mum's Rosemary. I'm wondering if I can use it in cooking? We've got mint here as well and lemon sage. Do any of these plants have any properties that can harm him or help him even? We grow Lavender here as well for its anti mozzie properties.
[notify]
Maxwell

I'm triple- superior MAD- now!

Barked: Sun Oct 9, '11 8:30am PST 
Rosemary is known to be a trigger for some dogs with seizures but otherwise is a fine herb to use for cooking. I haven't a clue as to what lemon sage is. Do you have the botanical name? As far as I know mints and sages are fine for dogs. The only spice I know that is a problem is nutmeg when over used.
[notify]
Torie

If you can roll- in the dirt, do- it!

Barked: Sun Oct 9, '11 5:48pm PST 
Though nutmeg is a spice (spices are barks) and rosemary is an herb. They are supposed to be excellent for us as well (and delicious). Parsley is supposedly good for the breath.

--des
[notify]

Saya

I want to play!

Barked: Sun Oct 9, '11 6:13pm PST 
Here's a book I got on herbs it's pretty nice and stuff still haven't finished it yet.
http://www.amazon.com/Herbs-Pets-Natural-Enhance-Your/dp/19339 58782/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1318209134&sr=8-4

I've given Saya ground fresh parsley before I put it in her raw eggs or caned fish..
[notify]
Torie

If you can roll- in the dirt, do- it!

Barked: Mon Oct 10, '11 5:24pm PST 
BTW, watch out for lavendar. Very strong stuff with a rather soapy type taste. I woudl think its safe for.

--des
[notify]