GO!

What's for dinner tonight?

This is the place to share your best homemade dog food and treat recipes with each other! Remember to use caution if your pet has allergies and to make any diet changes gradually so that your dog's stomach can adjust to the new foods you are introducing.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Hucky and- Ringo

Barked: Wed Sep 28, '11 11:44am PST 
I think this may be a good post for others like me that are just starting out home cooking. I want to do the right thing for my boys and make sure I give them everything they need.I use to feed all kibble with a topping of ground beef. Now I want to do away with all kibble and cook 100%. My boys still get a cup or so of kibble in the morning but at night it's all cooked food. I welcome all critics and I don't mean that sarcastically. I need to know what I'm doing wrong. So let us all know what's for dinner tonight. Tonight my boys are having a mix of turkey and ground beef, cooked celery and green beans, alittle brown rice topped with alittle cedar cheese.

Also, what are the best foods to cook for an overweight dog (Hucky)?

I know I must sound like a broken record, but I have dogsters advising me in 2 different threads and some are thinking that I'm looking for better kibble. What I'm looking for is the correct foods to cook for my dogs to keep them healthy.

Edited by author Wed Sep 28, '11 1:00pm PST

[notify]
Christine

Peanut Butter- for Breakfast

Barked: Sat Oct 1, '11 4:31am PST 
Hey guys! I would be happy to help out here. One of Christine's favorite recipes and a good one for those not-so-lean pooches out there is Rice & Eggs. It is a really easy recipe.

3 cups chicken broth
12 eggs
1/4 cup olive oil
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 cup white rice
1 lb ground or chopped chicken breast

I cook this on the stove in a large pot for about 45 minutes. Slow cooking seals in flavor and nutrition.

I'm so glad you have chosen homecooking! Christine has never looked or felt better. She does better on homecooked than either kibble or raw! I am a firm believer in home cooked diets for dogs. Dogs evolved on an omnivorous cooked diet. Just like people, that is what they do best on. big grin
[notify]
Maxwell

I'm triple- superior MAD- now!

Barked: Sat Oct 1, '11 9:37am PST 
Get an easy to use scale and use it. Real food in the portions your dogs need doesn't look like enough food. Max only needed 8 ounces of my cooked food. That is a half can of dog food sized portion. My analog scale with 1/16" ounce markings was of little use. He got fat. Happy but fat.

Start with 2-3% of their ***ideal*** body weight in raw ingredients minus rice, oats or any other dry grain. A 50 pound dog would get from 16-24 ounces a day. If Huck should be about 75 pounds then start by feeding him only 24-36 ounces weighed out on your handy scale. I would be cooking the meals in different pots just so you don't overfeed the smaller dog as it would be a pain to do the ratio and weigh out the cooked food for each dog. Your choice though.

Try pouring warm water around the food to fill them up. Use mostly meat in variety without taking off the hard to remove fat so there is a good amount of fat. Fat sates and protein builds calorie burning muscle. Make sure you feed about 2 ounces of liver for each pound of meat fed as it has lots of vitamins and minerals you just cannot get elsewhere. Your dogs are large enough you might just cook and use but I cooked, cut in daily bits and froze to combine with the food cooked daily. Use at least half meats and other proteins and use more fiber rich veggies than potatoes, peas and grains.

Variety is good but introduce new stuff a bit at a time just in case. Sassy always was super fun to switch kibbles but changing a food only 10% at a time she was able to eat chicken, pork, beef, lamb, rice, pasta, potato, sweet potato, tapioca, zucchini, celery, pumpkin, carrots, broccoli in any combination that came up after each was fine and dandy with her gut.
[notify]

Hucky and- Ringo

Barked: Sat Oct 1, '11 4:34pm PST 
tonight my boys had ground beef, beef liver, green beens and carrots, and ground up egg shells. they also had during the day a raw meat bone
[notify]
Hazel

Noise Police

Barked: Sun Oct 9, '11 8:39pm PST 
Well, this wasn't intended to be balanced on its own, but Hazel had some ground turkey, broccoli, and buckwheat.
[notify]
Adam

Vaccine free- -Disease free- goes pawinpaw

Barked: Tue Oct 11, '11 10:43am PST 
Hey Hucky how about some dinner pics?!big grinpuppy

This is a good thread I hope more share!

I watched a youtube video for homecooking by Susan Thixton, she made something with pasta in it Hucky!! I thought of ya haha. She also added in sunflower seeds, she said it was good for vitamin E.
[notify]
Hucky and- Ringo

Barked: Tue Oct 11, '11 1:17pm PST 
Hi Adam, All pictures would show are 2 big pots in the fridge that looks like slop. I keep the meat and veggies seperated so that I know what I'm spooning out into their bowls. I'm staying away from pasta and I'm only mixing in a cup of brown rice in the veggie pot until Huck shows signs of loosing some weight. Anything extra, like eggs or sweet potatoe I cook the night of. I cook the meat and veggies on Saturday and it lasts me a week. They are still getting alittle kibble in the morning. I have been starting to save egg shells but I'm still trying to figure out how to make fine powder out of them. Blender???
[notify]
Adam

Vaccine free- -Disease free- goes pawinpaw

Barked: Tue Oct 11, '11 1:34pm PST 
If you had an hour of nothing I guess you could crush them with the back of a spoon...not real practical though but I don't think a blender would work.thinking are you still feeding the rmbs? They might be enough calcium.. Maxwell will know! I only did it once, I boiled the shells and crushed them myself. Hour of boredom...
[notify]
Hucky and- Ringo

Barked: Wed Oct 12, '11 7:39am PST 
They only get rmbs 2x a week. I might have to stock up on sardines. As far as egg shells, last weekend I put them on the grill. The insides turned black but I crushed them up anyway. I used my fingers, but I couldn't get it to be fine powder. Oh well.
[notify]
Maxwell

I'm triple- superior MAD- now!

Barked: Wed Oct 12, '11 8:16am PST 
Never tried a blender, might work. I used to use a coffee grinder. Some use a mortar and pestle. What about a rolling pin?

Some say the dog digests bits of egg shell anyway, I never wanted to take any chances. Try just baking it so it is light colored, do your best to pulverize it and watch the poop.

I would put it in regardless. You could invest in a bottle of bone meal or calcium carbonate too.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2