GO!

homecookers...roll call?

This is the place to share your best homemade dog food and treat recipes with each other! Remember to use caution if your pet has allergies and to make any diet changes gradually so that your dog's stomach can adjust to the new foods you are introducing.

(Page 1 of 4: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  
Adam

Vaccine free- -Disease free- goes pawinpaw

Barked: Thu Jul 28, '11 4:39pm PST 
I'm surprised this forum doesn't have more activity! Who cooks for their dogs- what do you cook?
[notify]
Sandy Baby- ♥

I may look- little, but I'm- ALL dog!

Barked: Thu Jul 28, '11 5:08pm PST 
*shyly raises paw*

I do. It's kind of a slow forum. We have a few people who are fairly new to home cooking (like myself... two years now, I think?) and some seasoned home cookers. You can get some great advise and recipes here, even if it takes a minute. I myself haven't been around Dogster as much as I used to be. Life does that to you sometimes, if you know what I mean.
[notify]
Hazel

Noise Police

Barked: Thu Jul 28, '11 5:57pm PST 
It's slow in here because everybody's busy cooking!

I'm not a full-time home cooker but I do cook some and try to at least balance the calcium and provide a variety of organ and a vegetables for the full spectrum of vitamins and minerals. Usually for the protein, it's chicken or beef meat, and occasionally gizzards, with liver and kidney for organs. For veggies, it can be broccoli, collard greens, cabbage, green beans, pumpkin, zucchini, swiss chard, or whatever else we've got on hand. I use a food processor to grind it all together.

I also like to feed canned jack mackerel or sardines. She gets a couple eggs per week, as well.

Edited by author Thu Jul 28, '11 5:58pm PST

[notify]

Sandy Baby- ♥

I may look- little, but I'm- ALL dog!

Barked: Thu Jul 28, '11 6:00pm PST 
It's slow in here because everybody's busy cooking!

Touché. wink
[notify]
Bruno CGC

Honorary Kelpie

Barked: Thu Jul 28, '11 7:11pm PST 
part-time homecooker here. I was really gung-ho for a while, but then things got busy and Bruno's coat looked terrible (I now think it was from me not rinsing out the shampoo enough when I bathed him, not an allergy issue after all.. whew!) so I went back to kibble with raw meals several times a week.

I do feed a lot of scraps, cooked veggies, raw eggs, etc, with the kibble or as snacks. Just not as a sole diet right now. It's VERY fun and satisfying to see your dog wolf down something you made 'specially for him...
[notify]
Adam

Vaccine free- -Disease free- goes pawinpaw

Barked: Thu Jul 28, '11 8:03pm PST 
To me homecooking is the hardest out of all the categories to feed and hi to those who do!! I've cooked dog meals before but honest I just am not good at balancing it so I stick to cooking treats for the dogs. But I still enjoy reading about anything to do with doggie nutrition and cooking.
[notify]
Lucille

I am the Sock- Bandit!!!

Barked: Fri Jul 29, '11 8:10am PST 
My dog gets the same cooked proteins all week that the two leggers get. I've made the whole deal (some of the full, balanced recipes) for Lu up in a crockpot, then divide and feed either as a full meal or a topper. I've also made liver treats. I'm not 100% cooked yet though. I feed grain-free kibble, raw organic eggs, and some RMBs along with the cooked protein.
[notify]
Bingley,- Emmett &- Martika

Little Ewoks

Barked: Fri Jul 29, '11 8:58am PST 
I'm a home cooker. We follow the guidelines in Dr. Becker's recipe book "Real Food for Healthy Dogs and Cats". I started doing home cooked a little over 2 years ago, when Bingley was coming off of puppy food, because anything commercial gives him horrible itchies, so as the new pups came along, they went right on homecooked, too.
[notify]
Dozer ~ CGC

Life is about- clicking and- sleeping

Barked: Fri Jul 29, '11 10:46am PST 
I'm glad this forum is getting a little more active.

I feed Dozer Raw with kibble every now and then when I run out of meat. I'd like to get off the kibble permanently, and I was thinking of useing homecooked meals instead.

I found some meatloaf recipes, but most of the stuff I've read requires grain, which I don't want to feed to Dozer because a) he's a carnivore and b) he has issues with a lot of different kinds of grain. I had a hard time pinning down which types exactly, and his reaction was horrible, so i just cut it out completely.

Does anyone have recipes that don't use grain? Can you even make a meal without the use of grain?
[notify]
Bingley,- Emmett &- Martika

Little Ewoks

Barked: Fri Jul 29, '11 10:57am PST 
I do grain free. Check out Dr. Becker's book, she gives wonderful advice for home cooking. Advice on supplements, diet rotation, etc. Much better than the other cook book I have (Healthy Dog Cookbook, I don't even reference that one anymore).
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 4: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4