GO!

What's the deal with Garlic?

This is the place to share your best homemade dog food and treat recipes with each other! Remember to use caution if your pet has allergies and to make any diet changes gradually so that your dog's stomach can adjust to the new foods you are introducing.

(Page 3 of 3: Viewing entries 21 to 24)  
1  2  3  
Firefly

Life is better- with Sheltie- love.

Barked: Tue Jun 11, '13 12:59pm PST 
I feed my pets tiny amounts of garlic (Holistic websites say it is great for deterring parasites). I don't believe 1/2 or a 1/4 of a fresh garlic clove is going to immediately kill my pets. I think it is entirely silly.

Of course, if they were eating five or six cloves, I would consider that pushing it. I only give them 12 of a clove every month.
[notify]

Barked: Thu Jun 13, '13 3:56am PST 
This study, while a good start, isn't conclusive enough. They gave garlic for only 7 days, which is a relatively short amount of time, to a very small sample group.

Individuals react to it differently. I've spoken to medical health professionals who have seen fatal cases from large dogs who took a one time small dose.

You have to ask yourself if it's worth the risk and decide for yourselves.
[notify]
Holly - CGC TDI

Squirrel?- Squrirrel!- SQUIRRELLLLL!!!!

Barked: Tue Jun 18, '13 9:39am PST 
I feed my girls garlic as well to help keep off the fleas and other bloodsucking parasites. Other than detesting the taste, they have had no problems with it.
[notify]

Cookie

Our little- Medical- Professional

Barked: Thu Jul 11, '13 9:56pm PST 
As I have said Garlic contains Thiosulfates. Any amount of thiosulfates even microscopic amounts, cause Every dog's red blood cells to pop or explode.
A small amount causes a small amount of red blood cell destruction. There is no amount of garlic so small that this won't happen. That is just what happens to the blood of a dog when this chemical is introduced. So if you give your dog garlic one piece the size of HALF of a single grain of corn will cause red blood cells to explode in your dog. That is just the simple facts. Now...It all depends on how many red blood cells you want to explode in YOUR dog. For myself I choose None!
By the way Fleas cause less damage.
[notify]
  (Page 3 of 3: Viewing entries 21 to 24)  
1  2  3