GO!

Balancing the Diet in 21 Easy Steps

This is the place to share your best homemade dog food and treat recipes with each other! Remember to use caution if your pet has allergies and to make any diet changes gradually so that your dog's stomach can adjust to the new foods you are introducing.

(Page 9 of 9: Viewing entries 81 to 87)  
1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  
Maxwell

I'm triple- superior MAD- now!

Barked: Wed Jul 17, '13 7:16pm PST 
Bump!dog
[notify]
Charlie

The world is my- food bowl!

Barked: Fri Jul 26, '13 8:41pm PST 
I'm trying to create a recipe I can make in bulk to feed in the evenings for my pups, but the biggest problem I'm having is getting the calories high enough. My recipe seems larger than it needs to be.

Charlie needs between 1000-1100 calories per day according to the calculator, but when I put in a recipe of what he used to eat on raw (2% body weight), it only comes up around 700 calories.
[notify]
Maxwell

Barked: Sat Jul 27, '13 1:36pm PST 
Does the homemade food have lots of carbs or low calorie veggies and not much fat? Are you sure he was getting 1000 calories a day on raw?

I estimate Max needs 600 calories a day but he actually gets between 300-700 a day depending on how lean the meat is.

I know Sassy got 1000 calories a day but the actual amount of the main part of her diet varied between 18-24 ounces for 700 calories of 13% fat cooked chicken and rice. Low fat means I fed more than 2% her body weight.

Remember raw uses bone for bulk but that 10% bone isn't low calorie no nutrient stuff, it is 30% protein so does contribute quite a lot of protein and thus calories. If you are looking to make the low glycemic Lew Olson type cooked food that 25% veggie stuff isn't going to add a lot of calories and will add close to zero protein to the diet so it is likely you will need to feed more than 2%.

I'd just go for it and if he gets skinny then feed more food. He is going to pester you no matter what. That dog knows good stuff and wants more.
[notify]

Charlie

The world is my- food bowl!

Barked: Sun Jul 28, '13 12:07pm PST 
Not much carbs, some sweet potatoes but only maybe 25% of the recipe weight. I think my problem was using a very lean meat (venison), but if we use half fatty meat (burger), the calories go up quite a bit.
[notify]
Maxwell

Barked: Sun Jul 28, '13 12:48pm PST 
As long as you are satisfied with the grams of protein the dogs are getting daily fatty meat works fine. I suspect half of Max's condition improvement on raw is due to the high fat content in raw. If he eats lots of fatty stuff he isn't getting the 1.5 grams per pound of dog I like though.
[notify]

Barked: Mon Aug 12, '13 6:37pm PST 
Sedona, nice thread..... been working on this for a couple days but having trouble with creating recipes and adding ingredients. It just doesnt seem to work. Any tips? THX
[notify]
Flicka ~ CGC

NO-ONE is going- to sneak up on- my Mummy

Barked: Tue Aug 13, '13 5:29pm PST 
Bumping to get above the spambots
[notify]
  (Page 9 of 9: Viewing entries 81 to 87)  
1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9