GO!

Balancing the Diet in 21 Easy Steps

This is the place to share your best homemade dog food and treat recipes with each other! Remember to use caution if your pet has allergies and to make any diet changes gradually so that your dog's stomach can adjust to the new foods you are introducing.

(Page 8 of 9: Viewing entries 71 to 80)  
1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  
Chance

How You Doin'?

Barked: Tue Jul 24, '12 12:36am PST 
Bump!hi5
[notify]
Chance

How You Doin'?

Barked: Thu Oct 18, '12 4:00pm PST 
snoopy
[notify]
Maxwell

I'm triple- superior MAD- now!

Barked: Mon Oct 29, '12 5:06pm PST 
Bump to the top!blue dog
[notify]

Drachen

Barked: Thu Dec 6, '12 8:38pm PST 
Great info. Thanx!
applause
[notify]
Kody & Kacy

We're waiting- for it!

Barked: Thu Jan 24, '13 6:18am PST 
This is making me crazy! I've never quite been 100% on board with the concept that feeding ONLY meat/bones/organs would provide EVERYTHING a dog needs (in a perfect world, natural wild environment, yes, but that's not what we have here, is it?), which is certainly not the case when creating a recipe of meat, heart, liver, gizzards, etc., with no veggies, fruit, or supplement of any kind. But I can't seem to come up with the appropriate additions that will make the numbers even close to 100% (although a few are WAY OVER ... like 500% in some cases). Then when I do the tracking part, some of the percentages are in the thousands!! I'm obviously doing something very wrong. Maybe I should just bite the bullet and go with a premade that is "guaranteed" to provide all the nutrients in all the correct amounts? Then maybe I wouldn't obsess day and night abut whether or not the boys are getting what they need.
[notify]
Maxwell

I'm triple- superior MAD- now!

Barked: Thu Jan 24, '13 8:47am PST 
Let me guess, vitamin A? There are maximums for some nutrients and A is one of them. Several dogsters calmed me down in the raw food forum about that one. Getting on the dot can even be low for particular dogs. Max is doing much better with way too much vitamin E and omega 3s for instance. Keep calcium and phosphorus about where they are needed, but for the rest don't worry too much. Try to find maximums and if you are only half way there don't sweat it.

And check a kibble, they are far over for many nutrients and under for a number as well although they seem to be changing things. When I started looking at the difference between NRC and AAFCO the zinc/iron ratios were wrong for AAFCO, it is supposed to be about 2:1 and it was 1:2 but now it may not be 2:1 but 1.5-1 which is much better. Put THK into ND and I bet you will see it isn't spot on either but I know that AAFCO label is reassuring.

For Max we found out that green tripe can fill the manganese/magnesium gap and are trying that out. So far it seems really good. Next step is to continue the GT and add the mineral supplement back in to see if he seems even better.
[notify]
Kody & Kacy

We're waiting- for it!

Barked: Thu Jan 24, '13 11:29am PST 
Thank you. I DO seem to obsess over much. Vitamin E is really bugging me. The amounts in just meat an miniscule! I think I've read that you supplement E? I can't find one that's not derived from soy, which is also the case of any fish oil containing E. Maybe that's not the big deal I'm making it out to be. Thanks again. I think I'll pour myself a drink and go watch the boob tube for a while, cuddling with my furkids that are going to be the death of me if I don't get a serious grip eek
[notify]
Kody

Is it time to- eat now?

Barked: Fri Jan 25, '13 2:01pm PST 
I give up. I've been messing with this for days, and even a recipe with a single piece of beef is giving me numbers Off The Charts!! I calculated and entered and recalculated and reentered and double, triple, quadruple checked the various conversions, and it's just all out of whack. I'm either learning impaired or I'm seriously "misfeeding" my dogs. Thanks for trying to help, but I've got to just step away before I hurt myself shrug
[notify]
Fritz

Fritz, cats are- fun when they- run

Barked: Wed May 8, '13 8:15pm PST 
BUMPhappy dance
[notify]

Barked: Sat Jun 15, '13 9:40pm PST 
What about 21 steps is easy? JW.
[notify]
  (Page 8 of 9: Viewing entries 71 to 80)  
1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9