GO!

Balancing the Diet in 21 Easy Steps

This is the place to share your best homemade dog food and treat recipes with each other! Remember to use caution if your pet has allergies and to make any diet changes gradually so that your dog's stomach can adjust to the new foods you are introducing.

(Page 7 of 9: Viewing entries 61 to 70)  
1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  
Maxwell

I'm triple- superior MAD- now!

Barked: Fri Mar 2, '12 5:57pm PST 
Bump!hi5
[notify]
Zeppelin CGN

Mellow is the- path to- happiness

Barked: Tue Apr 10, '12 6:37pm PST 
This is a great guide! Thank you so much!

Why do you have to multiply Vitamin E by 1000? The spreadsheet gives it in mg and that's what Nutrition Data uses as well... thinking
[notify]

Barked: Wed Apr 11, '12 6:21am PST 
Great. Thanks a million. As a beginner, this will really help me.
I'm bookmarking this now.
[notify]

Maxwell

Barked: Wed Apr 11, '12 12:11pm PST 
If the units are the same then you don't have to multiply it by 1000. I messed up entering a number of custom foods because of the mg=/=g thing though for calcium and phosphorus.
[notify]

Barked: Sat Apr 14, '12 10:52am PST 
Hi my first post!

We fed our elderly Border Collie a mix of raw mince beef and rice with some egg/fish and veg.

I also added flax oil which I bought from a local horse supplies shop.We tried adding dry garlic powder and turmeric for her joint pain but sometimes she'd leave her food.

We now have a 2.5 year old collie,Jock who has been eating quite cheap complete food in his previous home.I read that Border Collies should not be fed high energy diets unless they are working dogs so I'l l try feeding Jock on a rice/meat veg mix and see how he goes.Is one half raw meat going to be too high energy?
[notify]
Maxwell

Barked: Sat Apr 14, '12 11:10am PST 
Half meat is as low as I would go for any dog and I would only do so for actual disease or budget issues. Max isn't a working dog but is less jittery on zero carbs, could look at feeding something like this instead of half meat.
http://www.b-naturals.com/newsletter/index.php/archive/low-gl ycemic/
Instead of attempting to manage a working dog by reducing protein try training and install an off switch as part of that training. Sassy was hilarious, she worked harder to maintain a down stay than recalls when a youngster, looked like a tied down helium balloon sometimes. Max used to be easy, today he is driving us nuts because it is windy outside and he hasn't had a proper walk. Need that off switch NOW!

Try fish oil instead of flaxseed oil. It contains less omega 6 and the omega 3 is much better utilized so you need less. Better yet, use some fatty fish like mackerel, salmon, sardine in the food.

Are you including some liver and some source of calcium in that food? Just an ounce of liver per 50 pounds of dog and 1/2 tsp of powdered egg shell per pound of meaty stuff goes a long way to making a home cooked diet more suitable to long term feeding.
[notify]

Barked: Tue Apr 17, '12 9:24am PST 
Dogs can't process vitamin A and other nutrients the way omnivores do.
[notify]

Barked: Fri Apr 20, '12 5:14am PST 
Hi. The links are helpful. But I advocate raw, and for those of you guys who have plans to switch or thinking of switching, please go here: http://www.rawdogfoodsystem.com/
[notify]
Duke

I'm king of the- world!

Barked: Tue May 15, '12 5:59pm PST 
Bump! snoopy
[notify]
Lucille

I am the Sock- Bandit!!!

Barked: Wed May 16, '12 6:25am PST 
"But I advocate raw, and for those of you guys who have plans to switch or thinking of switching, please go here"

Member since 2/21: Perhaps you don't realize that there is an entire section of this site devoted to raw feeding? This thread is properly located in 'Home Prepared Food & Recipes'. Please post your info in the raw forum where it belongs. Thank you.
[notify]
  (Page 7 of 9: Viewing entries 61 to 70)  
1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9