GO!

Balancing the Diet in 21 Easy Steps

This is the place to share your best homemade dog food and treat recipes with each other! Remember to use caution if your pet has allergies and to make any diet changes gradually so that your dog's stomach can adjust to the new foods you are introducing.

(Page 3 of 9: Viewing entries 21 to 30)  
1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  
Trixie

Lookin' Pretty

Barked: Wed Sep 30, '09 10:39pm PST 
Sedona,thanks! I'll have to check that out. dancing
[notify]
Pip

The fridge is- opening!

Barked: Mon Oct 12, '09 3:37pm PST 
Could I get some help here? I used to homecook and am considering going back to it. I have a few questions though.

My dog, Pip, is 1 year old and is 12 lbs. He is currently eating Instinct Duck and Turkey Meal kibble. He keeps a good weight at about 240 calories a day. When I enter all the info in the spreadsheet, it says that I have to feed 464 calories day. He is an active pet so I put in 130 for the value in Box 1.

Do I just ignore the 464 cals per day and use the rest of the nutrient values? Or do I use half those nutrients?

Edited by author Mon Oct 12, '09 3:40pm PST

[notify]
Sedona

The Wise Cracker

Barked: Mon Oct 12, '09 4:42pm PST 
I ignore the calories but keep the nutrient recommendations as written for an active pet. That way has been working fine for my pooch.
[notify]

Pip

The fridge is- opening!

Barked: Mon Oct 12, '09 6:30pm PST 
Thank you.
As for making a week's worth, first, I multiplied all the nutrients (after multiplying the few by 1000 and such) by 7, and then when I made the recipe, I chose 7 servings. However, do I multiply the quantity of food by 7? Or leave it at 1?
[notify]
Sedona

The Wise Cracker

Barked: Mon Oct 12, '09 9:42pm PST 
To go about making a recipe I followed some advice I found searching around Dogster. I think Sassy wrote it.

Anyway, I set it up kinda like raw at 2% of the body weight and broke it down into the following

1/2 - meat
1/3 - starch
1/6 - veggies

To do a recipe for Pip I'd take two percent of his body weight and multiply that by seven.

So 12*16 = weight is 192 ounces
192*.02 = 3.84 oz daily
3.84*7 = 26.88 oz of food a week

26.88/2 = 13.44 oz of meat a week
26.88/3 = 8.96 oz of starch a week
26.88/6 = 4.48 oz of veggies a week

It doesn't have to be exactly those numbers, but that's a good starting point.

Most homecookers probably do it different but this way works okay. A starting point at least.way to go
[notify]
Sedona

The Wise Cracker

Barked: Mon Oct 12, '09 9:45pm PST 
On the Raw nutrient spreadsheet if you multiply Pip's weight by 7 and use that as the body weight number, instead of 12 use 84, you don't have to multiply each nutrient by 7. The spreadsheet does that all for you.

Then you only have to worry about the unit conversions (the multiplying by 1000 bit).
[notify]
Sassy

Princess and the- Pea

Barked: Sun Jan 10, '10 8:19pm PST 
Bump!dog
[notify]
Ralphie

The Ralphinator

Barked: Tue Jan 12, '10 6:17am PST 
Genious!
[notify]
Sassy

Princess and the- Pea

Barked: Thu Jan 28, '10 9:47am PST 
Bump!blue dog
[notify]
Sedona

The Wise Cracker

Barked: Fri Feb 5, '10 3:50pm PST 
OOOOOOPPPPPSSS! Just caught a fatal mistake. You have to multiply the amount of calories the raw spreadsheet suggests by the number of days you want to balance over, not the weight of the dog.

red face

Sorry guys and gals.
[notify]
  (Page 3 of 9: Viewing entries 21 to 30)  
1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9