GO!

Balancing the Diet in 21 Easy Steps

This is the place to share your best homemade dog food and treat recipes with each other! Remember to use caution if your pet has allergies and to make any diet changes gradually so that your dog's stomach can adjust to the new foods you are introducing.

(Page 2 of 9: Viewing entries 11 to 20)  
1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  
Tucker, CGC,- TDI

Bloggin' Dog

Barked: Mon Sep 28, '09 4:08pm PST 
Sedona and Sassy, you are amazing! I still have those spreadsheets from nutritiondata saved on my work computer, but that's about as far as I got.

I'm really trying to work towards eliminating commercial foods, but I've been waffling for awhile. With Dakotah, I felt confident in doing a 100% prey model raw diet - I actually thought it was pretty easy. But with my little guys, I don't know why - I'm just not as confident. Not that this is raw, but maybe I can go to 50% pre-made raw and 50% homecooked and ease into it that way. This will be a huge help - I appreciate it! Thanks!
[notify]
Kiki - My Angel- Baby Girl

Hey, hey! Drop- the meat, I'm a- waitin'!

Barked: Mon Sep 28, '09 4:39pm PST 
Mom has been meaning to learn how to do this. She pawmise she will learn it now. way to go

Sometimes bookmark or favorites is denote by picture of a star and the star with a plus sign is to add it to the favorites.
[notify]
Sedona

The Wise Cracker

Barked: Mon Sep 28, '09 4:51pm PST 
Just realized some of the markings on the pictures aren't what they words say they're supposed to be. Oops.red faceconfused

I hope it doesn't confuse anyone.

Thanks and welcome guys. I hope this gives some people who are considering making their own food a confidence boost. When you get down to it, it's not that hard to make a balanced diet. It looks very intimidating when you're standing on the sidelines though.

Get to cooking! way to go
[notify]

joey

I'm working on- three toys!

Barked: Tue Sep 29, '09 2:39pm PST 
Thanks. I've been wanting to increase my homecooking to 100% of Joey's diet, but found the task a bit intimidating! However, I'll give it a try, especially if I don't find anyone who has a ready made fish and sweet potatoes diet!
[notify]
Sassy

Princess and the- Pea

Barked: Tue Sep 29, '09 6:21pm PST 
I couldn't get ND to add in a part of a recipe besides an ounce or 100 grams! So bummed. I was able to put in 1 ounce of a 280 gram recipe which is 0.10 instead of 0.125. But her cookies are cut into 0.125 [1/8th] of the recipe not 0.10.

Anyway, 10 days of beef/rice, 4 each of pork/rice and chicken/rice are in the oven right now. And I was able to easily add the teensy bit of extras that the chicken and pork recipes needed.
[notify]
Sedona

The Wise Cracker

Barked: Tue Sep 29, '09 6:43pm PST 
Would it let you do the entire recipe?

Like this?

If you can do that, then in the Qty just type in the percentage you want to use. So for yours it would be "Qty - .125" (12.5% or 1/8th of total recipe).

I think that should work.
[notify]
Sassy

Princess and the- Pea

Barked: Tue Sep 29, '09 8:16pm PST 
That is what I thought too but no matter which save button I pushed either the whole thing, 100 gm or 1 ounce would go into tracking. At least that part works. When I originally worked on adding recipes to tracking I had to change the amount on the recipe page first. But even if all I could do is make up recipes and compare to the numbers on the spreadsheet I would be happy. Having the customized My Preferences is so great!
[notify]
Trixie

Lookin' Pretty

Barked: Tue Sep 29, '09 9:04pm PST 
Sedona, I've always wondered what the spreadsheet references to determine the ideal vitamin and nutrient levels for dogs, as there is nothing for dogs like the government's RDA (recommended daily allowance) for people, at least not that I'm aware of. Just curious.
[notify]
Sedona

The Wise Cracker

Barked: Tue Sep 29, '09 9:06pm PST 
Yep, you're right. Dang it! That is a bummer.
[notify]
Sedona

The Wise Cracker

Barked: Tue Sep 29, '09 9:09pm PST 
It's from the 2006 edition of Nutrient Requirements of Dogs and Cats. That's where the AAFCO gets their information to set pet food standards in regards to nutrient needs.
[notify]
  (Page 2 of 9: Viewing entries 11 to 20)  
1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9