GO!

Anyone feed Tofu?

This is the place to share your best homemade dog food and treat recipes with each other! Remember to use caution if your pet has allergies and to make any diet changes gradually so that your dog's stomach can adjust to the new foods you are introducing.

(Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  
Peanut Baby

Getting a- furless sister!

Barked: Wed Jul 15, '09 4:35pm PST 
Our dogs absolutely love tofu but we have never given it as a meal, only for treats. Does anyone have any opinions on feeding tofu as the protein part of a balanced meal? It is really healthy for people and I would assume for dogs too! Plus, it's really cheap compared to other foods.
[notify]
Lilith

I'm a trilingual- dog!

Barked: Wed Jul 15, '09 4:38pm PST 
Well, Peanut Baby,

I'm a vegetarian so I get my fill of tofu, but I actually think tofu would not be good for dogs because it's soy. Many dogs have allergies to soy! That's why we also stay clear of dog foods with any soy in it. It's hard for them to digest as a protein. So I don't give my dogs any tofu.... though it sure is tasty.. TO ME! laugh out loud
[notify]
Rocket&Cassie

pointydogs- represent!

Barked: Wed Jul 15, '09 5:14pm PST 
I have been known to give my dogs a nibble of tofu if I'm cooking it for myself, but I personally do not believe that it is in any way an acceptable substitute for actual meat in a dog's diet. And cheap? Not to me - a little cube of tofu costs about two dollars at the big-box grocers, and it's not even a full pound! Most of the meat I feed my dogs costs between .39-.69 per pound.
[notify]

Peanut Baby

Getting a- furless sister!

Barked: Wed Jul 15, '09 5:29pm PST 
Well, I'm happy that I asked lol. Okay for treats, not okay for meals! Thanks doggie friends!hug
[notify]
Sandy Baby- ♥

I may look- little, but I'm- ALL dog!

Barked: Wed Jul 15, '09 6:46pm PST 
Sandy can't even have it for a treat. She's allergic, so it all comes right back up. confused

Some dogs do fine on soy based diets... but, I wouldn't recommend it. Dogs have trouble digesting soy.
[notify]
Sassy

Princess and the- Pea

Barked: Wed Jul 15, '09 7:11pm PST 
I hope Sassy never needs to go on a diet of tofu. It is useful for some special diets though.
[notify]
Addy, CGC

Let's go for a- walk!

Barked: Thu Jul 16, '09 7:57am PST 
A friend has a dog with serious intestinal condition requiring a super-lowfat diet. He also has a lot of protein intolerances, meaning there's not a lot he can eat. He was eating one commercial diet that was extremely low-fat and used an unnamed "fish" as its first ingredient and sole protein source. They had experimented repeatedly with other commercial and home-made diets, and never found anything else that he could eat safely.

Recently the company that made the Mystery Fish canned food changed the formula, to include things they already know he can't eat. They've been hoarding cans scared up from all over the country, and experimenting with adding in alternative proteins, trying to find something he can eat.

He can eat tofu. They're working with UCDavis vets to develop a tofu-based diet to transition to as the cans run out.

But that's a really special case.
[notify]
Chocolate

Benjamin Button- of dogs

Barked: Thu Jul 16, '09 11:11am PST 
My dog is not allergic to soy. So once I gave him some vegetarian canned dog food(with the main ingredient being textured soy protein and he was fine). His poop was really gross and mushy though so I try to steer clear of too many veggies.
[notify]
Jessica CGC

Will work for- food

Barked: Thu Jul 16, '09 12:29pm PST 
I read that soy is bad for dogs. Not deadly like grapes can be. Maybe what I read was soy is just usually an allergen like corn to dogs.
[notify]
Dr. Watson

Not a wiener- dawg!

Barked: Thu Jul 16, '09 2:24pm PST 
Ugh, soy is an allergen for me the human. Peanuts too. But I can eat a little...it's digestive, not anaphylactic.

So I eat cashew butter and walnuts for snacks, while the dogs get a bit of peanut butter. smile
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3