GO!

Questions about Dr. Pitcairn...

This is the place to share your best homemade dog food and treat recipes with each other! Remember to use caution if your pet has allergies and to make any diet changes gradually so that your dog's stomach can adjust to the new foods you are introducing.

(Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 19)  
1  2  
quigley

wigley- quigley,the- quigster

Barked: Fri Feb 6, '09 3:01pm PST 
Thea we were a bit worried that you said you were using almonds and grapes as these are not supposed to be good for dogsdog Just noticed when i re-read that you remove pulp before you add grapes. What about the almonds??

Edited by author Fri Feb 6, '09 3:11pm PST

[notify]
Thea

Can I have your- SOUP???

Barked: Fri Feb 6, '09 11:50pm PST 
Quigley, I have never heard that almonds are bad for dogs. I have`heard that Macadamias are a very bad neurotoxin for dogs...Almonds are a rich source of Selenium, and there was a recent article in Animal Wellness that included almonds in a health tonic recipe....

Now I am second guessing myself....gotta go Google almonds!

ETA: I'm back...actually I am getting my nuts mixed up! Brazil nuts are high in selenium, and in the health tonic recipe....
I do feed almonds, though, raw, unsalted ones, in moderation....I mean like 1 or 2, not a ton, and I usually pound them up into little bits. I think that it is said that almonds could be bad for dogs is because of the high fat content, so if given freely they could probably cause GI problems.

And good god, if we ever found out pistachios were bad, we'd all be dead in this house!laugh out loud

Before we knew grapes/raisins were bad, they were a fave among the dogs, so I guess we dodged a bullet on that one....

Edited by author Sat Feb 7, '09 12:05am PST

[notify]
quigley

Barked: Sat Feb 7, '09 3:41am PST 
Hi again Thea, Quigs will do anything for raisins too, so we know what you mean. He does love nuts , but i will only let him have a few.dog Bananas are his favourites and I can't eat those in peace if he is around!!!dog By the way pistachios are full of phosphourous and are not supposed to be good for dogs.dog

Edited by author Sat Feb 7, '09 3:51am PST

[notify]

Addy, CGC

Let's go for a- walk!

Barked: Sun Feb 8, '09 7:36am PST 
Quigley, you know raisins are grapes, right? I would not feed raisins, no matter how much he loves them!shock
[notify]
quigley

Barked: Sun Feb 8, '09 12:03pm PST 
Yes we know!! He is not allowed them ,but he still thinks they would be lovely and would do anything to reach them, so they are out of sight!!!dog
Thanks Addy.

Edited by author Sun Feb 8, '09 12:04pm PST

[notify]
Thea

Can I have your- SOUP???

Barked: Sun Feb 8, '09 8:48pm PST 
I always feel guilty eating a bunch of grapes with the dogs staring at me! I wonder why dogs can't eat them? No-one seems to know. My first thought would be pesticides, but I read even if something is organically grown they are still bad for them. Odd.

Weirdly enough, before the whole "grapes are bad for dogs" information, Adlai used to eat them right along with us. I guess we dodged a bullet!

We will watch the nuts though...red face I found some info that pistachios were bad for dogs--I couldn't find anything really medically documented, just info on message boards. Not saying that I doubt it, I just didn't see much. But given their fat/salt content, it would make sense that they would be bad. Oh well, more for me!
[notify]
quigley

Barked: Mon Feb 9, '09 1:46pm PST 
Hey, Thea its because the grapes ferment in the belly we think!! Quigs has had the odd grape too, he pinches the love -birds grapes when we are not looking!!!dog
[notify]

Barked: Wed Jun 19, '13 10:19am PST 
To the grape feeder: grapes and raisins are not good for your dog.
Also, are those of you who are not eating grains yourself, eating just a big steak or chop for supper? Check your human food pyramid. Dogs are not obligatory carnivores, even if you are an evolutionist. Catfood should list meat first on the label, not dogfood. The overall health of all my dogs improved when I eliminated commercial kibble. This included "hot spots" and other skin problems. Check your dog's fur-what is your hair and scalp like when you are ill or not on a healthy diet?
[notify]
Toto, CD, RN, CGC

We don't do- doodles!!!

Barked: Wed Jun 19, '13 4:20pm PST 
Zombie post over FOUR years old!!
[notify]
  (Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 19)  
1  2